911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I am a 55yo female that works 60-70 hours every wweek with

I am a 55yo female that works 60-70 hours every wweek with very few days completely off (Self-employed - own and manages a Hair Salon and an Event Lounge). I have never smoked.
For a while I have been experiencing numbness in my left foot toes, frequesnt sporadic shooting chest pains. Today, I have been sweating all day with very mild activity in a well air conditioned space. I also have been feeling very tired and also am experiencing a twitching of the left eye socket. I also have felt kind of nauseated today.
SHould I go to the nearest walkin clinic and get an EKG? I cannot afford to be down for the count and most certainly my business cannot sustain me experiencing a heart attack. What are your thoughts?

911Doctor :

I think you need to be seen and an EKG will be one of the few things that will be necessary

911Doctor :

I am an ER doc

911Doctor :

and if you were to come to me

911Doctor :

in the ER

911Doctor :

I would also consider a head CT

911Doctor :

as some of the symptoms you are having might be indicative of TIA

911Doctor :

which is a stroke precursor

911Doctor :

I think this is unlikely

911Doctor :

but still, I do think the heart is a possibility as a cause

911Doctor :

but not of the numbness in the toes

911Doctor :

that is something else

911Doctor :

does this make sense?

911Doctor :

and I think that since the 'differential'... list of possible causes.... is quite broad

911Doctor :

I think the ER would be the most efficient place to go to get all necessary tests

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

Yes, it makes sense. I could have 2 things going on perhaps. Can I go to a walk-in clinic for quicker service?

911Doctor :

they will not have the ability to do a CT scan

911Doctor :

but they might be able to do enough to rule out a possible TIA

911Doctor :

and they could do an EKG

Customer:

Then I guess the ER is the only option...........

911Doctor :

the problem with a walk in clinic is the training of the providers and their capabilites....

911Doctor :

sometimes you will get a nurse practitioner... some are excellent.... some are not....

Customer:

What exactly is TIA?

911Doctor :

some doctors in walk in clinics will not consider the complete differential, or, if they do, they might send you to the ER anyway

911Doctor :

also called a 'mini stroke' by most people

911Doctor :

if you click on the link you can read about it and I will stand by...

Customer:

Yeah - you're right. I just dread sitting in an ER for umpteen hours especially when I have to open the doors to my business at 8:30am

911Doctor :

I think it will be time well spent... if you describe your symptoms as you have to me, and express concern about your heart and about the possibility of a 'mini stroke' they should triage you right back.

911Doctor :

do you have any further questions for me?

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat so will change this to a Q and A format.

If your question has been adequately answered please consider leaving positive feedback. If you have further questions simply type them in the box below and click reply. Have a great evening, and, should you need my assistance in the future please begin your question with 'for 911doc'.

Best