Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Doctor
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

I think my daughter has head lice...now what?

Dr. A Clark :

Hi.

Dr. A Clark :

Head lice have become increasingly difficult to get rid of with over the counter products. You can try Nix creme rinse first but if that doesn't work then you will need to call your child's doctor for a prescription. I recommend Natroba as the best product on the market that is easy to use and is the only one that kills the lice in the eggs (nits) so you don't have to re-treat in a week.

Dr. A Clark :

Again, there are lots of over the counter lice products out there but none of them is very effective as lice have become resistant to them.

Dr. A Clark :

I

Dr. A Clark :

I'll watch for your reply or any questions as perhaps you are away from your computer right now.

Customer:

This is the first time ever that anyone in the family has gotten lice. She has coarse/thick long hair. so, we should try nix first and see how that goes? Or can we go right to the prescription? most likely the dr will want to see her first right?

Dr. A Clark :

I usually don't waste my time OTC treatments and sometimes docs just call in the Rx not wanting to deal with them in the office! Ask for Natroba though as it is the easiest and most effective medication out there right now.

Dr. A Clark :

I think they have a coupon on their website tool.

Dr. A Clark :

too.

Customer:

thanks so much!

Customer:

I put a call into the dr and waiting for a call back with hopefully a call in to the pharmacy...thanks again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When a child/someone gets lice, what is the first symptom(s).

Can it be dormant prior to itchiness?

It takes a few days for the itching to begin as the allergic reaction to the bite begins.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. How about the red bump like stuff on the back of the neck, when does that usually come out?

I'm just questioning it as my daughter has it was treated about a week and a half ago and about to do 2nd treatment tonight and a child that she has seen prior to this, during and today just realized today that she has it...and she noticed the back of the neck had the red little dots and her head was itchy.

Just trying to figure it out as to when it could have actually started and who had it first.

I would re-treat her since it takes a week or so for the eggs to hatch out and the lice to start biting again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, doing that tonight..

At what stage does the red dots on back of neck come out?

Within a couple of days.