A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am 77 years old and in comparative good health. However,

I am 77 years old and in comparative good health. However, over the last few months I have been experiencing light-headedness plus sometimes feelings of nausea particularly in the evenings. Have been to my G.P but have had little help really though my blood pressure was taken and is apparently O.K.It's not necessarily when I look up or down just a general feeling of illness and lack of balance.
Maybe it's just old age!! But I don't know whether you have any solutions or help..

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. Please let me introduce myself. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

Have you had blood work to include blood counts and thyroid tests? Of so, what were the results?

Do you take any medications on a regular basis?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I've had no blood counts or thyroid tests. The only medication I take regularly is Omaprazole for reflux

Thanks for the additional information.

While we all slow down a little with aging, a general feeling of being ill and lack of balance aren't normal. They indicate there is some problem going on.

The place to begin would be with blood work to rule out one of the anemias (not uncommon with reflux disease and the medications that treat it), thyroid dysfunction, electrolyte imbalance, etc. Any of those can result in the kind of symptoms you are having. Lack of balance can also be from inner ear problems, but the blood work should be done every 6 months to make sure everything is working properly.

Please don't let your regular provider off the hook easily. He needs to do some sleuthing and not brush off your symptoms with a simple blood pressure check.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,

Schuyler

ξ