Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hi I am 33 years old male and for last 6 weeks,i have been

Hi

I am 33 years old male and for last 6 weeks,i have been experincing gas symptoms like dull pain in lower side abdomen (mostly on right) bloating and heart burn.

I tried some gas relief medication but i am still having the problem.

Thanks

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Customer:

Hi Doctor

Anthony Bray MD :

You may wish to consult your doctor about this as a good history plus ohysical exam and perhaps some tests may be more liklely to lead to the diagnosis and best treatment for you... I will work with you and speculate as to what may be your cause...

Anthony Bray MD :

Often I have seen cases of constipation present with a sense of discomfort and bloating located tothe lowewr right side...

Anthony Bray MD :

This is because that is where the cecum is located...

Anthony Bray MD :

The cecum is the first segment of the large bowel and receives the emptying contents of the small bowel..

Customer:

i had some constipation but for last 3 days it is getting better

Anthony Bray MD :

If the large bowel system is under too much pressure over time ( this may often be subtle but still constipation all the same ) then the cecum may become distended and uncomfortable...

Customer:

so,what could be problem?

Anthony Bray MD :

If this is your cause then a regular stool softener may help to alleviate the problem >> daily Surfak 260mg (over the counter) or Colace >> Docusate (100mg x two once a day also over the counter ) or mineral oil one tablespoon daily may alleviate the problem. When this is the cause of the discomfort such a regimen will usually clear the symptom within about ten days....

Anthony Bray MD :

Other causes are certainly possible...

Anthony Bray MD :

You may have diverticulosis but this is more often on the left side...

Anthony Bray MD :

The heartburn I think is a separate problem for you...

Customer:

i have pain in both sides but more on right side...lower

Customer:

is this not a gas problem...

Customer:

i have lot of gas symtoms..

Customer:

like bloating,heatburn(mild)

Anthony Bray MD :

For the heartburn try taking an acid redicing medicine such as over the counter Prevacid or Prilosec and watch for taking irritants such as alcohol, coffee, acidic or spicy foods(citrus fruits, tomatoes, onions, peppers) anti-inflammatory meds...

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have a lot of intestinal gas then you may benefit from taking a probiotic to normalize the bacteria in the GI tract...

Anthony Bray MD :

Certain specific problems such as Lactose intolerence may cause bloating as a symptom..

Anthony Bray MD :

You may benefit to keep a food diary...

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that seeing your doctor about this would be a good idea... as I said from this venue I can only speculate...

Customer:

i have these minor gas symtoms always...

Customer:

i had a colonoscopy 1 year back and everyhting was fine

Anthony Bray MD :

Even something like a prostate infection might cause pain to radiate acroos the lower abdomen (but low back pain is more typical for this problem ) so I am not saying that prostate is a likley cause in your case....

Anthony Bray MD :

Well that is good.. it helps to rule some things out...

Anthony Bray MD :

You would not have developed diverticula in one year for example...

Customer:

should i take an endoscopy to rule out other serious causes

Anthony Bray MD :

I would recommend trying the probiotic such as Activia, a stool softener daily and keep a food diary...

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that restricting your diet for the heartburn would helpwith that and taking some Prevacid or Priolsec would likley help...

Anthony Bray MD :

If you try these things and fail to improve within ten days then plan to follow up with your doctor >> remember to take in your food diary

Customer:

are these symtoms related to gasrtic cancer?

Anthony Bray MD :

Certain types of inflammatory disease of the lower colon >> colitis (this may be inflammatory or infectious could be the problem...)

Anthony Bray MD :

No I do not think that you have gastric cancer... low probability of that...

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you smoke and drink alcohol??

Customer:

so..plan is to use probitic such as activia and stool softner

Anthony Bray MD :

Right...

Customer:

i used to drink alcohol...but for lat 6 years..social drinker...very rare

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that would be good place to start and if this fails to correct teh problem soon thenconsult your doctor further about it...

Customer:

i did smoking for some time...but very occassional...

Anthony Bray MD :

OK > good then NO heavy alcohol plus no smoking plus your age gives very low risk of gastric cancer...

Customer:

ok.Thanks...

Anthony Bray MD :

Gastric and colon cancers are more risk for age 50 and up....

Customer:

i will try these for 10days...and see the results...

Anthony Bray MD :

OK

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this helps!

Customer:

but...based on my symptoms...can we rule out serious conditions?

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion and I will be happy to get back with you...

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes

Anthony Bray MD :

Red flag symptoms to watch for would be abdominal pain plus fver ( > 101.5) abdominal pain too severe to allow sleep, abdominal pain plus intractable vomiting...

Anthony Bray MD :

These would be signs that you need more immediate attention...

Customer:

thanks.

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Hello!

This is Dr. Anthony Bray with Justanswer.com. We spoke about a week ago about your abdominal discomfort and heartburn. This is just a follow up message to see how you are doing? I hope that my suggestions were helpful. I hope that this note finds you feeling better. Feel free to contact me again on the site to let me know how things are going. Contact me anytime if you should have further medical questions that I might be able to help you with!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD