Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My brother gets colonoscopy every 3 years because he had a

My brother gets colonoscopy every 3 years because he had a polyp. This time it was near appendix and doc couldn't reach it properly.. will do surgery to remove. Meantime biopsy came back cancer. What are odds it may have spread? I had heard colon is usually a slow cancer. Doc says most likely a one time in and out deal.
How wide a margin do they usually take out in these cases.
Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX

Thee chance of the spread is very low as he has a 3 yearly screening. Incidence wise chance of spread is less than 2-3 percent. Usually a segmental resection is done in which a 10 cm margin of the colon is taken out. But some surgeons may even suggest total colectomy (complete removal of colon) or subtotal colectomy with rectal sparing, if the biopsy shows an aggressive type of cancer or there is a family history of cancer.

“My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!”
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm assuming doc would have mentioned if it was an aggressive cancer when he called him with biop results.Is that info they get with biop results or do they need further testing to determine type of cancer?

Usually biopsy which he had undergone is able to tell the aggressiveness of the cancer. Rarely the removed section of the intestine may show the aggressive cancer. If the present biopsy has not shown the aggressive cancer (called as poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma); only a segmental resection of around 10 cm would be recommended.

It is privilege assisting you.