Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Low pulse.

I am 22 years old. I weight 130Ib 5,6... I have recently noticed that my pulse is low. It is around 50 - 58 resting. When I drink coffee, it goes down to 48.  I have no history of a heart problem. Blood pressure also goes down. sometimes around 100/ 55. I am not athletic. 

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX

It seems that your question has not appeared in the question box. Please retype it.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I typed it already.

Thank you, Nick.

Were any investigations done for it?
Do you have any symptoms?
What is your usual blood pressure?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had test done last summer. EKG's ( around 7) /All normal... One stress test/ normal. Heart ECKO or ECHO/ normal. I also had regular blood test which were normal. I also had an ab CT which was normal in November.

My usual blood pressure is 113/63. But now, it often goes very low at rest. Around 100/ 55. I have chest pain. But I had these same symptoms last summer when all test were normal. The chest pain sometimes last all day. I ignore it.

Also had chest x rays which were normal... Chest pain comes when anxious.

Thank you Nick for the further information.

This is likely to be sinus bradycardia. The commonest cause for it is sick sinus syndrome. The following investigations may be advised if not yet done;

1) Fasting blood sugar and glycosylated hemoglobin
2) Thyroid function tests
3) Serum calcium
4) Serum magnesium
5) Adrenal function tests
6) Serum electrolytes

Since your cardiac work up is normal, a 24 hours Holter monitoring may be recommended to look for any abnormal beats. Drug treatment of sinus bradycardia is usually not indicated for asymptomatic patients. In symptomatic patients, underlying electrolyte or acid-base disorders or hormonal disorder should be corrected.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had test last summer for all the stuff you mentioned above. All the test came out normal. I also had a normal glycosylated hemoglobin last may. It was 5.5.

Last month, my pulse has been low. When I drink caffeine or consume a lot of food, it goes down. Around 48 -50. Why?

I have an anxiety disorder, and depression. Can this lower pulse?

Hi Nick,

Anxiety disorder can definitely affect the blood pressure and pulse and can lower them. This is mediated through hormones which lower them. As we discussed, usually people who do not have symptoms, need not be treated. Your underlying anxiety disorder though should be managed. Anxiety can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root.

You may discuss 7 Day ECG Event Monitoring with your doctor for just for caution and to reduce the anxiety. That will categorically rule out any abnormality. Also avoid taking your BP and pulse frequently which unnecessary play on your mind.

If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can anxiety cause excessive hunger too? I have been having a lot of anxiety since last year.

What worries me is if I can get sick within a year because of severe stress or anxiety and depression? All my blood test were normal last year so is it possible that they are still normal?

Can I still drink caffeine? even if it lowers my pulse?

Caffeine consumption usually should be limited, but just lowering of the pulse does not warrant a drastic cut. Anxiety can increase the appetite. Anxiety or depression is not going to cause any serious or significant illness / sickness. Please do not worry at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was worried that severe anxiety and depression will give me type two diabetes.

No that is not the issue. You should not unnecessarily worry about it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. last question.. so most likely, I am fine. Nothing serious? like diabetes type 2?

You are most welcome.

Yes, you are fine. There is nothing serious like diabetes type 2 or else. Please do not worry at all.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Please rate the answer Excellent / Good, as this is the only way, we get credit (and paid) for the time and expertize.

Best wishes and kindest regards