Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Hello, I broke my ankle almost 5 weeks ago, and had a surgery

Hello, I broke my ankle almost 5 weeks ago, and had a surgery (plate + pins) 3 weeks ago. I was given an aircast 1 week after surgery and was advised to move my ankle up and down. I have been non weight bearing since the surgery. I'm also supposed to start putting some weight on it tomorrow (3 weeks after surgery) but no x-ray was taken. I have two questions:
1- is it safe for me to put weight on it even if the surgeon didn't ask for an x-ray first?
2- My inner thigh, near my pubic arch, hurts a lot. Especially after a few hours sleep, the pain usually wakes me up after about 4 hours sleep. When I lift the injured leg up, to get up/down, the pain is very intense. The knee of the injured leg is also cracking. Do you know what this could be? or is it just a side effect of being on crutches on not moving much?
Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Have you had an x ray after surgery?

Customer:

I had an x-ray in theatre after the surgery yes

Customer:

and good afternoon to you Dr

Dr Brims :

Okay, they should take an x ray again at each visit you have with your doctor to make sure the bones are well aligned

Dr Brims :

Good afternoon

Dr Brims :

Do you have any swelling in the painful area?

Customer:

in the thigh?

Dr Brims :

yes

Customer:

no swelling

Customer:

Did you receive my answer?

Customer:

Hello?

Customer:

Was that all of it?

Customer:

I'm sorry this is the first time I'm using so I'm a bit confused as to why there is no response.

Dr Brims :

Sorry

Dr Brims :

It seems your connection was lost

Dr Brims :

If the painful area is not swollen then this is most likely due to using crutches

Customer:

Hello, I'm not sure what happened, but I sent about 4 messages but wasn't receiving a response

Customer:

Should I take pain killers for it because it's actually keeping me up

Dr Brims :

What pain killers are you on?

Dr Brims :

Can you see my replies?

Customer:

Sorry I thought there were other connection problems as before

Customer:

yes I can see your reply

Customer:

I haven't been really taking pain killers since day 3 after surgery, but I did take paracetamol last night

Customer:

it didn't seem to help much

Customer:

I also have tramadol which I was given and have taken a couple of time after the surgery

Dr Brims :

Okay, it is safe to take tramadol for this pain

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

but it's not safe to put my foot down yet?

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

I would advise my patient to have an x ray before walking on it, o make sure there are signs of healing

Customer:

Can a doctor tell by just looking at the foot?

Customer:

would it give some signs of healing?

Dr Brims :

The only way to assess healing is with an x ray

Dr Brims :

A doctor cannot tell by looking at the foot

Customer:

That scares me

Customer:

thank you

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Customer:

any stretching exercise I could for the inner thigh? or will it fix itself once I start walking agian?

Dr Brims :

It will fix itself when you start to walk normally again

Customer:

ok great

Customer:

thanks!

Customer:

One last question sorry

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

I am taking daily injections (Fragmin), do I need them even if I'm in an aircast?

Dr Brims :

Yes, if you mobility is decreased you still need them

Dr Brims :

your*

Customer:

ok thank you

Customer:

I think that was it. Thanks again for your help.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future you may request me by starting with "Dr Brims" and I will answer

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience