Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Physio Expert please - dislocated knee My 14 yr old son dislocated

Physio Expert please - dislocated knee
My 14 yr old son dislocated his knee during a football game on the weekend. (Dislocated laterally)
The ED Drs said to leave him in a straight leg brace & crutches for 1-2 weeks without doing any activity (except walking around assisted by the crutches).
He has no range of movement in the leg at all and it's feeling very stiff. We have a physio appointment on Monday, but just wondered what we could do before then. I am concerned that if we do nothing it will be so hard for him to move it considering how much he has lost movement in it already. We wondered whether we should be applying heat or doing any light movements until MOnday?
Please offer advice about the best solutions for this type of injury.
He is a very active fit lean tall boy (normally trains 6 days per week doing cycling and football). Suggestions welcome please.
Thank you.
Kim (concerned Mum)
Discharge notes said -
Left patella dislocated laterally and left foot was neurovascularly intact.
Patella was reduced in the ED under analgesia.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for your question, Kim. My name isXXXXX

If you wish, I can help you. I am sports medicine specialist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok that's fine Dr Arun. Thank you.

You are very welcome, Kim.

A 1-2 week or less immobilization is unlikely to cause any permanent stiffness or loss of knee joint movement. Usually physical therapy like active and passive movements of knee are started in 10-14 days of the injury. He can do quadriceps drill till he consults the physical therapist. Please see the link for quadriceps drill;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvxxRhTpVyk

This can done lying on the bed or sitting on the hard bed.

“My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!”
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer.

So you recommend no bending of the knee until around 10 days?

What sort of time frame do you think we are looking at for recovery with physiotherapy?

You are most welcome.

Yes, no bending for around 10 days is advised, so there is no recurrence of the patella dislocation.

In his age group (14 years) recovery is very fast. He would be able to participate in the sporting activities in 3 week. Movements would be regained in 1-2 weeks of physiotherapy and most of the activities like walking and standing of any duration are allowed after first week of exercises.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you very much for your advice.

Kind Regards,

Kim

You are always welcome, Kim.

Let me know how it goes.

Best wishes and kindest regards.