Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I think I had a mild concussion 4 days ago. I feel mostly better

I think I had a mild concussion 4 days ago. I feel mostly better now, except staring a computer long gives me a tiny headache, where it never used to before.

This happened Saturday. Sunday I was ok, Sunday night I felt a little nauseous and Monday morning I was really tired and felt kind of nauseous. Tuesday and Wednesday seemed to feel ok. Drove around and worked. Don't feel 100%, but I still feel pretty good I suppose.

Should I still go see a doctor 5 days later? Is it necessary? Could something bad still happen in my head that I am not aware of, that is going on right now? If I am still feeling VERY minor 1-2 sec headaches here and there is it ok? It's nothing I can't bear. Just comes and goes for a quick second.

I would like to relax and have a glass of wine because it's beautiful outside. Or is this not a good idea? Could something really bad happen or do you think i'll be ok?

Please let me know. Never had a concussion before so I don't want to do anything that could make something bad happen.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Have you felt tired since this occurred?

Customer:

Only on Monday morning I felt really tired. More than normal. Got a Starbucks and it wasn't helping.

Customer:

By Monday night I felt much better than that morning

Dr Brims :

Do you have any medical conditions or take any medication?

Customer:

No, perfectly healthy.

Dr Brims :

Okay, any drowsiness?

Customer:

I felt a little dizzy driving earlier for like a second, but then I was fine. never stopped or pulled over. I guess not really dizzy, just out of it for a quick sec.

Dr Brims :

I see, with this information you have provided, I would suggest you have your doctor examine you

Customer:

no, not really drowsy, unless that's what I felt a little earlier today for a quick sec. I never get sick or anything so it's hard for me to tell what's what.

Dr Brims :

To be safe, you need to be examined

Dr Brims :

I would avoid alcohol as well

Customer:

Even after 4 days?

Customer:

ok

Dr Brims :

Yes, after 4 days

Customer:

Can something major still happen to me or would that time frame have passed?

Dr Brims :

It is unlikely anything major will happen now after 4 days

Customer:

ok. I will go. He can't see me until Friday anyways, but I'll go.

Customer:

I'm assuming alcohol would just make me tired and maybe feel nauseous like before. Enhance any symptoms.

Dr Brims :

Okay, that is the best option to be safe

Dr Brims :

Yes, alcohol will likely increase your symptoms

Customer:

ok, thanks! one more questions...

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

would he be able to tell for sure if I had a concussion? Or is there no test? I may just be working myself up because I look on WebMD for everything and it's the worst site to look at.

Dr Brims :

He will not be able to tell for sure but he will be able to know if you have any neurological deficit

Customer:

ok, I'll go see him. Thanks!

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome