Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

ast 142 alt 180 is this slightly elevated

Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.

The normal range of values for AST (SGOT) is from 5 to 40 units per liter of serum. You have a value of 142, this is raised.

The normal range of values for ALT (SGPT) is from 7 to 56 units per liter of serum. You have a value of 180, again this is raised.

Further interpretation of raised AST and ALT depends upon the entire clinical evaluation of an individual.
Having a history of chronic hepatitis C is the most likely cause for such raised levels.

Please go through this link-

http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/hepc-guide/chronic-hepatitis-c?page=2

Further line of treatment for Chronic Hepatitis C should be decided by your doctor.
I would recommend that you visit your primary doctor and get it managed.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

these enzymes were normal in december then in march-may & june
they were elvated I started taking methimozale for an overactive thyroid

I started at 5mgs then 10mg then 5mg and now 2.5 could this effect my enzymes and should I keep taking it?

Thanks for asking follow up question.

Well, Methimazole has been reported to cause side effects on liver resulting in hepatitis and jaundice. This can further result in raised AST and ALT levels.
Good to hear that your dosage for this medication has been reduced.
Further dosage may be tapered, if necessary only after clinical evaluation.

As such, you should not stop Methimazole, all of a sudden. Your doctor may decide further line of action.
Please see your doctor and discuss this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the thing is the alt is higher now (with 2,5 a day) the it was with 5mg (a day). I also take meteprolol, clonazapam and elavil) and currently are my enzymes slightly elevated? or is it major?

Dear Customer, I can understand your concern.

It may take few months for Methimazole to show its affect on liver enzymes, this is the reason, that, though dosage has been decreased at this time, still liver enzymes are raised.

A lab test of increased liver enzymes is fairly common.
Though levels of AST, ALT are raised, still it can be reversed.
Having history of chronic hepatitis c is also a factor for raised levels. This is not a major/ serious issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am going to give you an excellent rating. So just a few more questions

i get another blood level on july 31st and then results On august 7thDo you think I will experience jaundice by then. & the reason he tapered it

is because my thyroid went from overactive to underactive.

Dear Customer, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Well, it can't be predicted that you would get jaundice by this time of test. Once test results are out, then only things would be more clear.

Yes, thyroid dosage adjustment is common step, once drug has been started.
Yes, your doctor has taperd dosage, because thyroid levels were going from overactive to under active.
Please get tested on july 31st.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.

Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, Experienced Family Physician