Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

Is patient competent to sign a will the same day they are put

Is patient competent to sign a will the same day they are put on life support? The patient admitted to hospital Saturday- end stage liver disease. His admitting diagnosis was mental impairment. He was in critical care unit and medicated with various antibacterial for the liver, and Fentenyl for pain (.1MG/2ML) and morphine and lorizapan. He stayed on Fentenyl and Monday he signed a will and then was put on life support and remained unconscious until he passed away 2 weeks later.

I realize you cannot give a definitive answer, but can you give an opinion -- Under these medical conditions was the person of sound mind to sign the first will of this 60 year life?
If the admitting diagnosis is mental impairment, then no, it is not likely that the patient was competant to make sound decisions regarding a will.
As well, with end stage liver disease, the patient is frequently encephalopathic from the elevated ammonia levels. You can be gravely ill and be competant- like suffering from heart failure. But liver failure usually has associated delirium which would render you not able to sign wills or other legal documents. Particularly since it sounds like he was on continuous pain medication- further affecting his mental competance.

I would say no.

I hope that this helped.

Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)