Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

What causes left knee/leg pain to hurt worse when lying do

Customer Question

What causes left knee/leg pain to hurt worse when lying down?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

Customer:

Thank you for your question,

Customer:

I’mCustomerand I’ll try to help you.

Customer:

When did the pain start?

Customer : Hello - it started six weeks ago when I woke up with severe pain behind my right knee. I had been to a concert that night and was on my feet for four hours. I went to the ER that following sat and she said because I dont have any swelling it's not a clot
Customer : The pain went awaybfor the most part, but this past Friday I won't up with the same pain after coming back from San Francisco
Customer:

Is it only in the back of knee or in other parts of the leg too?

Customer : The pain went away on Saturday but on Sunday I had a trace edema but it went away after three hours or so
Customer:

Does the pain occur only when you are lying down? Is there any swelling, redness now?

Customer : I went back to the ER doctor yesterday and she said it was shin splints, but it feels like its something more
Customer:

Did you take any test in ER?

Customer : The pain moves around
Customer : No tests she said by looking ab my leg she could tell it was not a clot no redness or swelling
Customer:

What treatment did the doctor prescribe.

Customer : Its not a constant pain - she told me if it was a clot it would constant and progressive, do you agree?
Customer : Muscle relaxers
Customer:

In clot there can be variation of symptoms.

Customer : I'm concerned because when I am laying down it hurts but when I stand up its ok
Customer:

The intensity of pain can vary too.

Customer : What do you suggest?
Customer:

I would suggest to take a few tests.

Customer:

An ultrasound examination/ duplex study can be taken.

Customer:

Blood tests like d dimer can be helpful.

Customer:

Those would help to rule out clot.

Customer : What are thoughts on it hurting when I am lying down
Customer : I don't have any tender spots on my leg
Customer:

There can be different possibilities. Pain from inflammation of joint pain can get worse due to position.

Customer:

There can be muscle cramps which gets worse on lying down.

Customer:

Nerve impingement can also cause the pain.

Customer:

Is muscle relaxant helping?

Customer : I haven't taken it - I took two Advils but they didn't work - I took them six hoursvago
Customer:

You can take it.

Customer:

If it is from muscle cramps, it will help.

Customer : Does it sould like it could be clot pain? I am a 38 year old female non smoker not on birth control
Customer:

No. It is not typical for clot.

Customer:

As the doctor has examined you & did not find any sign, I feel you should not worry much.

Customer : As soon as I stood up my leg started to feel better, but it's unlike any pain I've had that is what has been concerned
Customer : Could it be tendinitis
Customer:

Clot pain would persist on standing up.

Customer:

It would not disappear.

Customer:

Tendinitis may occur but the pain is usually worse on movement.

Customer : Based on my description does it sound nerve related? My leg also feels stiff
Customer:

It is possible to be related to nerve, muscle.

Customer:

Please feel free to ask, if you have any further query.

Customer : Should I trust my ER doctor for not doing any tests? Also my foot was sore when I woke up
Customer : But now while I am sitting - I don't have any pain
Customer : Just worried because the back knee pain that happened six weeks ago was so painful
Customer:

You can trust ER doctor.

Customer:

But if the pain does not subside with the treatment she gave, you need to take tests.

Customer : Also pain would radiate to thigh
Customer : Ok I will
Customer:

You can try muscle relaxant now & see if that helps.

Customer : An umrelated question - I have had a twitch under my left eye for a few days - do you know what causes this
Customer : Anything concerning
Customer:

It is likely to be due to anxiety, stress.

Customer:

Sometimes,electrolyte changes, deficiency of vitamins, nerve disease can cause it.

Customer:

If you have anxiety, stress, please try to avoid it.

Customer : Thanks - it's hard to :( I very much have stress. I travel every week so it takes a lot out of me.
Customer:

You are always welcome.

Customer : I sometimes feel a pulsating and popping sensation in my leg - almost like bubbles if that makes sense
Customer:

I understand, it is difficult to avoid stress.

Customer:

That can be from muscle twitch too.

Customer : I am ok to take the muscle relaxer if I took Advi
Customer : Two Advils six hours ago
Customer:

Yes, it is ok to take it now.

Customer : My knee has makes a lot of crunching clicking noises but she took X-rays of my lower leg and knee which came back fine
Customer:

It is good.

Customer:

That seems there are no changes from arthritis or others.

Customer : I will take the muscle relaxer and see how I do - you don't think I need to go to the ER now
Customer:

I do not think you need to go to ER now. The doctor has checked this pain already. If the pain does not improve then you can take a review.

Customer : Ok thanks I just read too much online about clots and makes me worry
Customer : Is it rare for someone my age to have one?
Customer:

It is not rare but your symptoms are not typical for clot.

Customer : Ok thank you - we're you one of the first doctors on the site? You have a lot of positive feedback :)
Customer:

You are always welcome.

Customer:

Thank you for the compliments.

Customer:

It’s been a pleasure working with you

Customer : Sure - you have been very helpful - do you answer questions during the day?
Customer : Just not sure when you are online so I can request you in the future
Customer:

You can see whether I am online. The site often shows it.

Customer : K thanks again!
Customer:

You can request by mentioning the name. Thank you for the excellent rating.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more thing the dr gave me cyclobenzaprine - 10mg -is this strong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain when I am lying down is a shooting pain/sensation
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I was away from computer so am late to answer.

Cyclobenzaprine is good muscle relaxant.

5-10 mg is the usual dose.

Shooting pain or sensation can be related to nerve.

Nerve impingement can cause it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be from a pulled muscle? Nerve impingement 5'that us?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Pulled muscle can also cause it.

Nerve impingement is pressure on a nerve from a ligament, disc.

You can place at least one pillow under your knees when you lie down.

This helps to relieve pressure on the nerve & muscle.

Please rest on a firm mattress

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the flexiral helps can I assume its definitely muscle related
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
If flexeril helps, it is likely to be related to muscle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You are again welcome.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry one more question. The pain also hurts in the front of my ankle - is there a tendon there?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there are tendons, ligaments in the front of knee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As well as the ankle?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Yes. There are tendons, ligaments in front of ankles too.

Often they goes from legs to foot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does it take for flexiril to work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking about getting get my leg tested - too many stories on the Internet that has me worried
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Then, get those tests we discussed in the chat.

Those will check for clot.