911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

burning sensation upper left arm for a month sometimes

Customer Question

burning sensation upper left arm for a month sometimes acute psysical job female 62 generally healthy
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

The best I can do here is to give you a series of possibilities

911Doctor :

You will need to see your physician to determine the cause

911Doctor :

But since you do a physical job

911Doctor :

this could be a result of heavy lifting

911Doctor :

either a nerve problem in the neck (causing pain down your left arm)

911Doctor :

or a more local nerve problem in the shoulder area

911Doctor :

Are you taking any medicine for this? If so, does it help?

911Doctor :

to chat, place your cursor in the box below, type, and click 'reply'

911Doctor :

doctors talk about a 'differential diagnosis' when considering an illness or complaint

911Doctor :

this would be a list of possible causes

911Doctor :

these lists can get kind of long

911Doctor :

but here goes

911Doctor :

Nerve problem either in the upper arm or neck with burning pain in your arm. Nerve pain is typically described as 'burning'

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your rating, but I was not finished talking with you so I will finish here.

The problem is with you that at 62 years other things can cause this type of pain, and while it is unlikely, your heart could be causing this if you have heart disease. Angina, pain from the heart getting too little oxygen, can cause pain radiating down the left arm. Again, this is unlikely, but this is the main reason checking with your doctor is so important.

Taking dangerous causes... angina in this case, off the list is critical, then your doctor can focus on the less worrisome causes mentioned above.

you may or may not need and Xray, but you certainly need a good exam. In the case of pain in your arm a lot can be gained from a simple physical exam.

Thanks for your question and good luck.