Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

Hello. Let me start off by saying about 6 months ago, unfortunately

Hello. Let me start off by saying about 6 months ago, unfortunately I had to have upper dentures. Very unhappy about that, especially since I have lost over 20 lbs.

Problem is my stomach is churning with hunger. And when I attempt to eat something, I can only eat part of it, because after awhile I feel very full, and not hunger. I think most of this came about because I was having difficulty eating with a strange teeth in my mouth.

My stomach is telling me to eat, but I have no appetite. I think after several months of eating very little, my stomach has shrunk so it can't accommodate as much as it used to.

Any solutions to this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.
Associated nausea,vomiting?
Pain in upper abdomen after eating meals?
Heartburn?
Bloating and flatulence?
Fever?
Cough?
Have you seen a doctor so far?
Alcohol and smoking?
Stress and anxiety?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

none of the above. Just a feeling of hunger in my stomach, but I have no appetite to eat

Thanks for providing more information.

Firstly unexplained weight loss, loss of appetite shouldn't be ignored as it can result in malnutrition.

As you are suffering from last few months so it's good to see your regular doctor and undergo further blood work like CBC, ESR, Liver function test, Renal function test, Ultrasound/CT scan whole abdomen for further evaluation.

Possible causes may include Gastritis, liver disorder, hyperthyroidism or anemia or vitamin deficiencies,cancer.

So having said this, I suggest you to make an appointment with your doctor rather than consider wait & watch approach.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As i said earlier, there was a reason for the weight loss from the beginning. It was very difficult to eat normal food with a strange object in your mouth. I hope for your sake you will never find out.

I had difficulty eating with the new teeth, which is why I lost weight in the first place. !

Stomach feeling hungry, but no appetite still a mystery to me

I understand your concern.
And it's my privilege to help you in every aspect.

It's common to have loss of appetite with new denture.
As you have introduced a foreign body into your mouth (the new denture), this temporary condition is perfectly natural. With time, this feeling of fullness,loss of appetite would pass as you adjust to your new dentures.
However in your case, you are still not feeling better after 6 months so you need to be seen by your dentist again and undergo re-adjustment of your denture.
If you still feel uncomfortable then new denture should be advised.
Even other possible causes should be ruled out as well.
In the meantime you can try some self care measures like
Eat softer food
Take smaller mouthfuls
Chew more slowly
After you put food in your mouth, try to divide it in two. Then chew each half at the back of each side of your mouth. By placing even pressure on your dentures this will help them feel more stable and stop them tipping. It is important to have balance.
Avoid very hot food and drinks.
Take OTC Prilosec.

And consult your regular doctor as well.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just one more thing. I see your point in eating softer foods, take smaller bites, but for now, I am not in the least bit hungry, but my stomach says I am starving.

Could that be stress and nerves too? I have going thru some rough times as well.

I just wish there was a way to get my appetite back

Thanks for the follow-up.
Well stress and anxiety can be contributing factors in your case.
You should try OTC Prilosec for few days to see if it helps.
In your case, Liquid protein drinks may be helpful.
Your doctor may also advise some appetite stimulating medications.
So consult your doctor as well.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.