Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Was given Doxycycline Hyclate for deployment. Recently returned

Was given Doxycycline Hyclate for deployment. Recently returned from this year and son contracted an std and was given doxy for treatment, but has left his treatment pack in laundry, which was washed and ruined. Will he be ok as it is the same dosage/mgs?
Hi--how old is the filled prescription for the doxy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Looking at the label on the bottle, it only says Refills left : 0 By 21Jun2012. I returned much later then that date from my deployment and didn't experience any problems throughout the deployment.

OK but are you saying you have a full bottle, and, if so, when was it filled?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have less then 100 pills left, of 276 when it was filled. It was filled 22May2012.

OK. In general, the expiration date on a filled prescription is one year from when it's filled. That doesn't mean that the pills go dead right at 365 days--usually the meds are still good for another six months, so it should be effective still. All that said, it really would be more appropriate to have your son call his doctor and have him call in a new script.