Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Is it normal for a womens breasts to become painful during

Is it normal for a women's breasts to become painful during her menstrual period? Is this accompanied by slight firming or hardening in the accused areas?
Hi--can you tell me how long this has been going on? Both breasts are tender without any lumps or nipple discharge? When was your last mammogram?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Uhmm it my wife's breast. Im a little concerned about this question too. My wife is 39, and to my knowledge hasnt had a mammogram. When I last questioned a Dr about this they suggested she was too young to worry about such things

OK, but again, how long has this been going on? And it's only at a certain time of the month and so far as you know no lumps or discharge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no discharge that Im aware of. Lumps ? I state that her breast do have firmer spots. are they lumps?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WE HAVE BEEN TOGETHER FOR THREE YEARS. IN THAT TIME SHE HAS ALMOST ALWAYS REPORTED THAT HER BREAST ARE GIVING HER PAIN DURING HER MENSTRUAL PERIOD.

Sorry for the CAPS

OK--if she has some firm spots but no true lumps then she probably has what's called fibrocystic disorder--basically lumpy bumpy breasts but that isn't anything serious and it doesn't mean there's a greater chance of cancer. And yes, hormonal fluxes with the menstrual cycle can make the breasts tender and if this is just recently going on she may be entering the pre-menopausal period. I would suggest she see her doctor about this for a breast exam and perhaps a mammogram if he thinks it's warranted, and I would also check her estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, LH and FSH levels to look for pre-menopause.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could she be pre-menopausal at the age of 39

Sure--it can begin in the late thirties. It's not just a late forties phenomenon.