Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Dear Dr. July 20, 2013

Customer Question

Dear Dr. July 20, 2013

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
My name isXXXXX(F)
DOB: 8/3/1951 Reside in SC
Current diagnosis: Severe Chronic
depression, OCD, Anxiety
Date of Onset: Approx.1970 at age 19
Have had approx. 15 ECT's (with no
relief)& hospitalized about 6 times
MEDS: Approximately 12/day
Suffer from migraines for which I take Tylenol 3 c/o codeine
-------------------------------------

For more than 10 yrs. I have 2 different experiences taking place in my brain. The main one is that I experience something I refer to as "an unhooking of electrical wiring" which causes my brain to abruptly stop or cut off and this lasts about 10-15 seconds then it "kicks" back in. This happens very often.
The 2nd symptom I experience is that without warning I will suddenly get a very sharp pain in the lower back part of my brain/head that runs through my neck,
and when this occurs it quickly jerks my neck. The pain from this is excruciating and can last up to 30 minutes slowly subsiding. I have asked others if they ever experience these and, of course, they haven't. I have mentioned these to 2 different psychiatrists I have had in the past (one of which I am still his patient), receiving little response, and I'm left feeling my questions /concerns are "swept under the rug".
****When I was about 11/12 yrs. old, I fell and the back of my head literally slammed onto a large, hard rock. When I got up to tell my friend (because she didn't see it happen) I could not speak. I would try to talk and nothing would come out. This lasted about an hour, and I was so upset because I couldn't tell her or her mother about it. When my voice finally returned I felt fine, and didn't mention it. When I went home I didn't even tell my mother. During a recent visit to my psychiatrist (approx. May 2013) I told him about this incident. I received virtually no comments plus I asked him if whether or not problems I've
been suffering from for more than 35 years may be related to the fall or if I could have another illness I’m not aware of. Again,virtually no comment.

THANK YOU for taking time to read & listen to me in an objective, caring manner. I need an objective, professional response. I know this is a lot and I do not expect you to rush. However, please know I'm waiting your response as soon as you believe you have forthcoming, helpful up-to-date information and/or any recommendations. I do have a great internist, should I consult with him about this?
DEBBIE PRATT 7/20/2013
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi Debbie. Can I first ask if you've seen a neurologist about this and have you had any studies like an MRI of the brain and neck and an EEG?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NO

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay Are you saying that your doctors have never considered a seizure disorder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YOU ARE DEFINITELY CORRECT. NO DR. HAS EVER MENTIONED SEIZURES OR ANYTHING ELSE. I SPOKE WITH A FRIEND SEVERAL DAYS AGO WHO IS AN OPTOMITRIST, AND I TOLD HER ABOUT THESE 2 PROBLEMS AND WITHIN 60 SECONDS SHE TOLD ME "IT SOUNDS LIKE A SEIZURE TO ME" AND ASKED ME IF I HAD EVER HAD AN MRI OF MY BRAIN. I TOLD HER NO. HELP! DEBBIE

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Debbie--and we can continue after this but this sounds like you are having partial seizures or what might also be called absence seizures. Not the grand mal type where one falls to the floor and jerks and convulses. To evaluate this you'd need to see a neurologist for an MRI of the brain and an EEG. These kinds of seizures can be effectively treated with medications like valproic acid and lamotrigene.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

SO WHAT DO I DO NEXT? DO I GO TO MY INTERNIST WITH THIS INFORMATION AND HAVE HIM HANDLE THE NEUROLOGICAL REFERRAL? WOULD THIS BE CONSIDERED A "PETITE MAL"?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, petit mal is one type of partial or partial/complex seizures. If you're insurance won't allow you just to schedule a meeting with a neurologist then you will have to go through your internist but I see no reason why he wouldn't agree that you need the referral.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WOULD THIS BE A FORM OF EPILEPSY?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--but as I said, not the grand mal type.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OF COURSE I'M VERY CONCERNED AND CONFUSED LEARNING ABOUT THIS IN A MATTER OF A DAY. I PLAN ON CALLING MY INTERNIST TOMORROW. ISN'T IT CORRECT THAT SINCE I PAID THE $30 "UP FRONT" I CAN CONTINUE WORKING WITH YOU FOR 7 DAYS? I'M SURE I'LL HAVE MORE QUESTIONS LATER. I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR HELP. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I'M RIGHT ABOUT THE 7 DAYS. THANKS. DEBBIE

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Debbie, this page will stay open for several days so get back to me here when you need to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

DR. CHIP, I JUST WANT TO BRING YOU UP TO DATE SINCE TWO DAYS AGO. YESTERDAY(MONDAY) AM. I MET WITH MY INTERNEST TO DISCUSS THE PROBLEMS I HAD BEEN HAVING FOR QUITE AWHILE AND I HAD PRINTED ALL OUR QUESTIONS/REPLIES SO I TOOK THEM WITH ME. HE AGREED THAT A BRAIN MRI AND EEG WERE DEFINITELY CALLED FOR SO THAT AFTERNOON I HAD THE MRI. MY EEG IS SCHEDULED WITH A NEUROLOGIST FOR jULY 30TH. IF ANYTHING CHANGES IN THE MEANTIME, I WILL LET YOU KNOW. I'M WORRIED ABOUT THE DIAGNOSIS, BUT SINCE I'VE BEEN HAVING THESE SYMPTOMS FOR SO LONG, MAYBE IT WILL HELP TO KNOW WHAT'S ACTUALLY WRONG. I SAW ON THE WEB HOME PAGE THAT LEGAL QUESTIONS CAN ALSO BE ASKED. I KEEP THINKING ABOUT MENTIONING IT TO MY PSYCHIATRISTS AND THEY DIDN'T TAKE ANY INITIATIVE TO LOOK FURTHER. I MAY WANT TO TALK TO A MEDICAL ATTORNEY-DEPENDING UPON THE OUTCOME OF THE TESTS. I HAVE ANOTHER DIFFERENT MEDICAL SITUATION I'D LIKE TO ASK YOU ABOUT. AM I ABLE TO ADDRESS A DIFFERENT ONE WITH YOU? I'M GOING TO BED SO I'LL LOOK FOR YOUR REPLY IN THE AM. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP. DEBBIE

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi Debbie. No problem with another question but pleas give me about three hours and then post the new question here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

JULY 24, 2013

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, MY MRI SCAN WAS NEGATIVE. THAT'S GOOD NEWS, BUT IT CONFUSES ME EVEN MORE. MY INTERNIST STILL WANTS ME TO KEEP MY APPOINTMENT WITH THE NEAUROLOGIST. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
WHAT OTHER POSSIBILITIES COULD BE FOUND AT THE NEUROLOGIST? I WILL WAIT AWHILE BEFORE SENDING MY NEXT QUESTION. THANKS. DEBBIE

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well that is good news but the MRI was to check for a brain tumor (unlikely with your history) or possible a small area of scarring in the brain, maybe from your childhood accident, that could be an epileptic focus. On can have a seizure disorder, however, even with a normal Brain MRI hence the need for the EEG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

JULY 24, 2013

DR. CHIP, JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, MY MRS SCAN WAS NORMAL. THAT’S GOOD BUT NOW I’M STILL CONFUSED. MY DR. WANTS ME TO KEEP MY APPT. WITH THE NEUROLOGIST, AND I WAS WONDERING, WHAT OTHER DIAGNOSIS’ COULD BE MADE FROM THE NEUROLOGIST? I THOUGHT SEIZURE ACTIVITY WOULD SHOW UP ON THE BRAIN SCAN. I DIDN’T REALIZE THAT THE MRI BASICALLY LOOKED FOR TUMORS. I SENTA MESSAGE SIMILAR TO THIS YESTERDAY BUT HAVEN’T HAD A RESPONSE, SO I HOUGHT I SHOULD SEND IT AGAIN. I KNOW YOU MENTIONED TO WAIT A FEW HOURS. DEBBIE

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Debbie, I did answer that just above, but, again, the MRI was to look for tumors and perhaps an area of scar tissue on the brain, maybe from your childhood accident, that could be a seizure focus. Even so, a person can have a seizure disorder with a totally normal brain MRI and you still need the EEG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE. I APOLOGIZE BUT I COULDN'T REMEMBER IF I HAD CLICKED ON THE REPLY BUTTON. DEBBIE

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No problem