Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Excruciating cramps in both feet and legs. I am unsure what

Excruciating cramps in both feet and legs.
I am unsure what category to put this question in. I have an excruciating cramps in both feet and legs for going on two days. I have tried every "home" remedy, I can find. But, nothing works. Please if anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Associated lower back pain?
Swelling,redness on legs?
Fever?
Any other medical history?
Are you taking any other medications?
Numbness and tingling sensation in legs?
Frequent urination?
History of Diabetes,Hypertension,etc?
Prolonged hours of sitting/standing in same position?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have extreme redness and swelling with sores on my right leg, my left leg is swollen but not as bad as my right leg. I have been running a fever off and on for a couple weeks. My Doctor prescribed "Clindamycin and SMZ TMP". I am a diabetic and I am presently on Lasix. I am also presently taking carvedi

Thanks for providing more information.

Firstly sorry to hear about your discomfort.

And as you have sores, redness, pain in legs so you shouldn't ignore your symptoms and consult your doctor ASAP to rule out underlying possible causes like Diabetic ulcers, Deep vein thrombosis, Cellulitis ,Renal failure.

And further blood culture, color Doppler study of lower limbs, Renal function test should be advised in your case.

If your symptoms are not improving with Clindamycin & SMZ/TMP so it's good to visit ER or consult doctor ASAP for prompt management rather than consider wait and watch approach.

Elevate your legs.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr. Anil Kumar,

I appreciate your help and kindness concerning my problem. It got so bad that on Saturday evening I went to the ER of our local Hospital.

They took eight veils of blood and a urine sample. I was given something in the IV for the cramps, but they would not say what it was. It helped immensely and I fell asleep, the Doctor came back and said there was nothing wrong with me and I was told to leave, "You can sleep at home."

I was very disappointed with their diagnosis.

Thanks for the follow-up.
Well if everything is fine in your blood work and urinalysis so it may be possible that your symptoms(leg cramps)can be caused due to electrolyte imbalance,dehydration in which IV fluids can be helpful.
However as you have sores on legs which may require further investigations like Color doppler study of lower limbs.
And a clinical examination by your regular doctor should be considered now at your current condition.
So make an appointment with your doctor and discuss your blood work findings with your current symptoms for a clinical correlation.

You'll be fine dear.
Good luck.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.