Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.

What should you do if you get stung by a scorpion.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.
When this incident happened?
Any associated symptoms?
Pain,swelling,redness on bite site?
Fever,shortness of breath?
Any other medical history?
Are you taking any medications?
Did you happen to see the colour and size of the scorpion?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just saw it and kill it on my living room floor.

I wasn't stung, but I thought it would be a good idea to know what to do in the event I got stung.

I only take blood pressure medicine.

dark brown in color

Thanks for providing more information.

Most scorpion stings don't need medical treatment and the first aid steps to follow may include

Wash the area with soap and water.

Apply ice to the area. Make an ice pack and hold it for 10 minutes.

Take OTC Motrin and Cetirizine.

But if you develop any severe symptoms like excessive pain, swelling at the site, blurry vision, muscle twitching, roving eye movements, or other non-typical symptoms, be sure to go to the ER.

Another thing is that there is a risk of anaphylactic reaction and for its prevention and shot of steroid and anti histamine will be required.

There is a specific anti venom available, which can completely relieve symptoms within 90 minutes or less.
Also a tetanus prophylaxis will be required.

Immobilization to avoid spread of venom will also help.

Decision to give antibiotic depend on the state of the wound.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you asked what color was it. What color would cause more harm?

Hello, Dark brown scorpion are usually not so dangerous. Only bark scorpion which is small light brown scorpion is dangerous and sting requires urgent medical attention. I hope this helps. If you have any further query then feel free to ask. Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.