Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have been exposed to asbestos and other construction dusts

Customer Question

I have been exposed to asbestos and other construction dusts for 8 hours removing fribable asbestos material with out protection. I was a labourer and was not warned or told of the work ! I currently take inhaler cause i feel a stiffening of lobes ! Will this improve ? No more stiffening of the lobes in the lung. The right lung is okay. This is 9 years after exposure. I have done cts, bronscopy for fungal lung infections in previous years no diagnosis.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 11 months ago.
Hi. Can you tell me what you mean by stiffening of the lobes? What inhaler do you use?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I stop taking inhaler for a long time. Symbicort.astrazenca. When I say stiffing I felt the lobe near my left rid feel not flexible. And been stretched compare to others it could be scaring. I went back on inhaler cause I felt two lobes with material were blocked due to aveoili closing through inflammation

OK. With all the testing you had--did that show anything abnormal and were you given a diagnosis for what's going on?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No diagnosis when I had fungal infection in lung. I had two bronscopies. Just given symibicort for dysnea. Specialist said asbestos disease in 20 or 30 years time. No abnomalities. He said come back in 20 or 30 years time

Did you have spirometry and pulmonary function tests to look at the actual function of your lungs?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes I done them

And were they also normal?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes

OK--but if that's the case why were you given the inhalers which usually are used for diagnoses of asthma?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I was referred to specialist by local doctor. After all the tests and exams I said I have shortness of breath and he gave me that. And I now request symbicort from local doctor. She thinks it may be asthma. I just do not understand the hardening sensation I had in a lobe. When I take inhaler lung gets flexible

Do you wheeze at all and are you saying that all this is mostly a recent occurrence?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No always but doctors say nothing wrong. I do not wheeze but have shortness of breath, feel as though my left lung is not flexible

Sorry for the delay--my computer was down. Just one more question--can you tell me exactly how the left lung is feeling not flexible? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I take symbicort my airways become flexible, the reason I started symbicort again is I felt them become stiff at the end. The left lung took more material than right in the exposure

Sorry but I just don't understand by what you mean by more flexible--are you saying that it's easier to take in a deep breath?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes easier to take in a breath.

OK--I really don't think you have anything to worry about here. With all the normal testing you really don't have any major damage from the asbestos exposure and it won't get worse in time. I think this stiffness you feel is not from the exposure and just a temporary problem with perhaps some bronchitis that will clear with time and you probably won't need the inhalers for very long
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Do I need antibiotics ? A tiny bit of green came up with the white sputum

Probably now right now since that usually clears in about a week without any antibiotics. If it continues beyond a week have your doctor look at you since you might need antibiotics then.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I notice I got up some thick white mucoid sputum today. When I started taking inhaler I got this white mucoid sputum. Some times I think I get up white mucoid sputum with specs of blood. what could this be ?

Has this just started?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No for the last 8 - 9 years

Has the phlegm ever been studied--a specimen sent to the lab for microscopic analysis and cultures?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did send 3 -4 speciments before of sputum. All normal

Did your doctor ever comment on the fact that if it's white that indicates white blood cells and a possible infection?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

or just a virus

And how often does this happen?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

since I use inhaler I notice a lot of mucus go into my stomach. I notice the mucoid thick stringy piece once a day. I also notice stringy piece before taking inhaler. I have felt a fiber go through my liver today

OK--it's possible that the mucus is from your sinuses and not from your lungs and you may have a chronic sinus infection so I would get a ct scan of your sinuses to look for that since you'd need a course of antibiotics to resolve that