Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM

I am a 35 year old female and my lower abdomen is fluttering

I am a 35 year old female and my lower abdomen is fluttering as if there is something moving around in there. This has been happening almost every night for a while now while sitting up in my bed. I know that I am not pregnant, so what can this be?

What these flutters feel like?Any burning,crampy feeling?

Do you have sweating,palpitations,anxiety?

Do you have any medical illness?

Do you smoke?

What is your occupation?

Are your periods regular?

Duration of symptoms?

Are you overweight?

Are you taking any medicines?

Pain during urination?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No pain, no nausea, no vomiting, no flatulence, no sweating, I've had palpitations before, but not with the fluttering in my abdomen. Anxiety comes and goes, it depends on what's going on. I have fibromyalgia. I am not a smoker. I am a secretary. My periods are regular, I am due for my next on the 20th of this month. My symptoms occur every night before bed while I am sitting up watching t.v. or doing homework on my laptop. I am 5'4" and I weigh 175 lbs. I am taking Amitriptyline 10mg, Nabumetone 500mg, Multivitamins & Vitamin D all for fibromyalgia. No pain during urination.

Thanks for providing additional information.

As per your description, this fluttering sensation or feeling of some movement in lower abdomen can be due to muscle spasms. The causes can be dehydration, calcium or mineral deficiency/ stress or anxiety/ hormonal imbalance/ excess work of the muscle group/Irritable bowel syndrome. The other causes like some arterial abnormality {aneurysm} or bowel peristalsis should be ruled out as well.

I would suggest you to have a physical check up along with few investigations like blood tests, ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis to see for any abnormality.

As you feel such symptoms every night so it's good to make an appointment with doctor to determine the underlying cause and get proper treatment.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.