Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

After having a fracture to my nose, my surgeon stated he would

After having a fracture to my nose, my surgeon stated he would need to not only shave the bone, but also I believe he said "DRILL" OR OTHER SUCH STATEMENT to repair the damage. As I am age 69 and have thin skin, I am wondering if there will be side effects from this surgery due to my age. Also, how long can I expect a recovery to take before I can resume regular activities. The sheet of what to expect given to me mentioned not to sneeze, a tall order for an allergic person. Could a sneeze fracture the nose during the healing process?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

DR HASAN :

I am myself an ENT surgeon with special interest in nasal surgery.

DR HASAN :

I will try to address your concerns first.

DR HASAN :

Your age is not going to affect you regarding this surgery.

DR HASAN :

Thin skin is one factor but at 69 the skin is bit lax so it's good from that aspect.

DR HASAN :

You can expect major recovery in 2 to 3 weeks but otherwise the swelling can remain there to some extent for 3 months.

DR HASAN :

But you can resume your activities in 2 weeks easily. Even you can do this early.

DR HASAN :

Sneezing cannot cause fracture but can displace the repaired area.

DR HASAN :

You just have to avoid sneezing for 2 weeks.

DR HASAN :

The point is how to do this.

DR HASAN :

OTC tab claritin is good for it.

DR HASAN :

Take it once daily.

DR HASAN :

Moreover whenever you feel that you are going to sneeze just start pressing your upper lip area just below nose.

DR HASAN :

This will help you to avoid sneezing.

DR HASAN :

I wish you all the best for your surgery.

DR HASAN :

I hope i have answered your concerns but please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Linda i am sorry you were unable to enter the chat but i have answered your question above, please read it and please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr. Hasan,

Thank you for your thorough reply. When you mentioned swelling for up to three months, do you mean noticeable swelling? , I have a widening near the top of my nose where it looks like the bones pushed out. It has been four weeks and I still have pain from this injury. I am told I cannot have surgery until at least October. If I choose not to have the surgery, will there have any health considerations other than for aesthetic appearance? Prior to this injury, I had what I felt was an "ideal" nose, but do not want to do the surgery purely based on wanting my "old nose" back.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your input. I don't mean any noticeable swelling. The noticeable swelling goes away in two weeks. The residual but slight swelling takes around 3months to go away. If you don't go for surgery there will be no problem other than aesthetic appearance. It has nothing to do with your health. Just listen to your heart if you feel that you need a new nose then go for it but if you are not satisfied from inside then just leave it. Decision is all yours because it has nothing to do with your health otherwise. I hope this helps you, please read it and please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery