Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have had pain around my right shoulder blade and under the

I have had pain around my right shoulder blade and under the right side of my ribcage for months now. Sometimes I feel as if I'm not able to take a deep breath because the shoulder gets really tight and tense. I've been to the doctor a couple of times and they've done x-ray, ultrasound, urine and blood analysis and diagnosed me with heartburn. I've been taking OTC antacids but I've seen no change in my level of discomfort. Does anybody have any ideas as to what it may be? Any help would be appreciated, this long-term pain is making me feel depressed and hopeless.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Do you take any medication?

Dr Brims :

Can you see my replies?

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

Sorry something was wrong with the chat.

Dr Brims :

Hello

Dr Brims :

No problem

Customer:

I am not taking medications.

Dr Brims :

have you been diagnosed with any medical conditions?

Customer:

None

Dr Brims :

Okay, have you had an MRI or CT scan of your shoulder? What type of doctor have you seen?

Customer:

I have not had an MRI or CT scan. The most recent visit was to the ER, that's where they ended up diagnosing me with heartburn. The visit prior to that was with my regular doctor.

Dr Brims :

Any swelling or redness?

Customer:

None

Dr Brims :

Does any thing make the pain better?

Customer:

Sometimes when I stretch it helps a little but only for few minutes.

Dr Brims :

Does anything make the pain worse?

Customer:

It seems like sitting for extended periods of time makes it worse. I work at a call center so I sit 8-9 hrs per day.

Dr Brims :

Okay, this may be due to a tear in your cartilage of the shoulder, called the labrum, it usually requires months to heal and often rest with physical therapy, to diagnose this properly an orthopedic surgeon needs to examine your shoulder

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes I am here. What may have caused this tear?

Dr Brims :

It could be caused from any movement in your shoulder

Customer:

Do you think repetitive movement may have caused it? Like using a computer all day?

Dr Brims :

Yes,repetitive movement may be the cause

Dr Brims :

Can you see my replies?

Dr Brims :

Is there still anything you would like to ask on this topic or would like me to clarify?

Customer:

The chat seems to freeze on my end but no, that is all. Thank you.

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

Sorry if the chat is causing problems

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions on this topic, you may click a rating button to end the chat session

Dr Brims :

Are you still there?