Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I just found out that my daughter who is 17 was prescribed

I just found out that my daughter who is 17 was prescribed antidepressants by her doctor. My wife and I were not informed. Should we have been notified by the Doctor.

Usually in such cases parents should be notified about the illness and advised cognitive behaviour therapy as well.Because family support is most important in tackling such issues so they should be educated about the condition of the patient and treatment prescribed.
The pros and cons of the treatment should be explained and potential side effects should be explained.

But legally speaking if the doctor thinks that benefit of medication outweight the risks of side effect he can prescribe it to the patient.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The doctor put her on Celexa. I have read some side effects and I dont feel there are any benifits to her taking pills the rest of her life and allowing a minor child to make that decision. Do you believe Celexa to be a Drug that children should take without the doctor telling the parents?

Hello, I understand your concern. And Celexa is usually not safe for children/teens and FDA has warned about it's side effects like increase suicidal thinking and behaviour. And my particular bias is that I'm not enthused about psychotropic medications for children unless the symptoms are very severe and there is no success with behavioural treatment. My reason is that teens are developing in all their systems: physically, cognitively, emotionally, socially. And medications affect all these systems.

But if your child seems to have relatively mild symptoms then it's good to discuss about her medications with her doctor. Therefore, you may want to consider adding a behavioural component to the treatment. I hope this helps. Feel free for follow-up query. Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated. Thanks.