Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Is it possible for a type 2 diabetic to experience symptoms

Is it possible for a type 2 diabetic to experience symptoms of low blood sugar (sweating, shaking, inability to focus, etc.) even if testing shows blood glucose over 150? Thanks

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Do you have Machine to check blood sugar?

Did you check sugar while you were feeling those symptoms?

How frequently do you feel those symptoms?

Is it fasting blood sugar level of 150mg/dl?

When Metformin was added?

Do you feel any difference?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I have a machine which was recently checked for accuracy. I used the machine to check the blood sugar levels. I feel these symptoms about two or three times a month; the blood sugar levels can range from 155 to 195 when I test. Those are not always fasting levels; my before breakfast (fasting) levels range from 140 (rare) to 180.

The metformin was added in December. It has helped the excessive facial sweating from the neuropathy, but does not help the other symptoms. I still get the sweating on the back of my head and neck when the other symptoms appear.

It feels like classic symptoms of low blood sugar, but the numbers never reflect that.

Thank you Kathi, for the information,

As you have tested glucose levels during the episodes & the levels were not lower than normal, the symptoms are likely to be due to neuropathy or other causes.

The sweat glands are supplied by autonomic nerves. Uncontrolled sweating can occur from neuropathy.

Autonomic neuropathy can affect the nerve supply to heart.

So there can be a feeling of rapid heart rate.

High blood sugar can also cause blurred vision, weakness, tiredness, trouble with concentration.

As metformin has helped with some of the symptoms & the fasting level is high too, it seems that your symptoms are result of neuropathy, high blood sugar.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.