Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

What can I do to stop getting toe and chin cramps? I have been

What can I do to stop getting toe and chin cramps? I have been in court for two days I have drank lots of water and was sitting down al, of a sudden cramps started in my right foot on top of foot then toes then chin area the it went to both feet in toes and chin area. I took a muscle relaxer flexeril it didn't seem to work so I took two pain relievers like Advil and it finally went away after a couple of hours of that. Then I drove home 4 hours and the cramps started again. What is going on?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

When did you visit doctor?

Did he advise any test?

Do you have any other past illness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't seen a doctor for this in about 1 year. This cramping has been going for a very long time. No test Have been ran for this.
I sat out 3 times in the same night in 2010 and no doctors know what that was. I am still dizzy all the time from that night of passing out. I noticed my left back side hurts some. I was checked for kidney stone and there wasn't any.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Sonja, for the information.

There are different causes of muscle cramps.

Usually cramps are felt mostly in the limbs. But any muscle of the body can be affected.

Deficiency of calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium- vitamins, dehydration etc. are the major factors.

Poor circulation or nerve involvement like dystonia, MS etc. also can cause muscle spasm.

It can also be present in diabetes, hypothyroid state.

Sometimes no cause can be apparent too.

When you had pain in the back, a nerve impingement is possible.

I would suggest to have an examination by neurologist.

You can have tests to see if there is any deficiency state.

Correction of those can help.

You may try some home measures-

Please take plenty of fluid, fruits, vegetables .

Regular exercise or a walk daily to keep you active.

Stretching or gentle massage can be helpful.

Avoid coffee, alcohol, tobacco etc, if you take any.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take 100mg of synthroid for thyroid issues. I am suppose to see another nuerologists. .
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
When did you have the thyroid levels checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 months ago I think
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

You can have the levels checked again.

Yes, please see a neurologist too for review.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not drink tea or coffee or smoke. Thank u for your time I am going to bed now.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

You are always welcome.

It is a good habit that you do not drink those & do not smoke.

Wish your healthy life.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doctor, My muscle appear to be sore in my legs for some reason. When I walk I feel soreness. And the cramps were in my toes top of my feet and shin areas only.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Do you notice any swelling or redness in those areas?

Did it accompany the cramps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I do not see any swelling or redness. I think I had cramps in some of that area that feel sore.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

After prolonged or severe cramps there can be muscle pain.

You can take an examination by an orthopedic doctor too.

A foot abnormality can be there.

You can avoid using tight shoes or high heels, if you use any.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did do more walking this week then usual I wonder if that is also part of the muscle soreness not being used as much.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
This can also be a cause.

Excessive stress on the muscles can cause soreness.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sure between the cramping and more waling then I am use to is causing the soreness now that I think about it.

Thank you for your time.