Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I need to make sense of my blood test results.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Why did you have the tests?

What are your symptoms?

Please write the results.

When did you have it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Initially, I went to have my cholesterol checked. My father's and mother's sides of the family both have a history of heart complications and such. I am also actually in the midst of a turnaround in my overall health; for example, how I eat, how much I work out etc. etc. I got my test results back and ever since I've looked at them, my anxiety has gotten the best of me and I'm very worried by what I may have.

I have had shortness of breath for quite some time now, also with back problems and neck issues. I'd guesstimate about 3 to 4 years, each year getting progressively worse. But it wasn't too noticeable until 2 years ago when I actually tried to work out again. So recently, it's been worse with the shortness of breath, as with the back problems.

I should also mention that I have an eye infection in my left eye, it's scarred from blood vessels rushing to the scar and it's already reached my cornea, causing a permanent scar. I take Doxycycline to limit these "flare up's" I get where I all of a sudden start to tear up and feel a painful sensation in my eye.

Anyway, these tests were done on July 11th, 2013

Here are the results as they are printed:

Note: Normochromic Normocytic Anemia with relative Neutrophilia and rare reactive atypical lymphocytes. Consider an infectious or reactive etiology. Correlation and clinically appropriate follow up suggested.

BLOOD - RDW: 15.5% H

BLOOD - RDW: 15.5% H

PLASMA - *CHOL: 172 mg/dL

PLASMA - *TRIG: 112 mg/dL

PLASMA - dHDL: 28 L mg/dL

PLASMA - LDL: 121 mg/dL

PLASMA - NON-HDL: 144 mg/dL

WBC 15.23 H K/cmm

NE% 55.3

LY% 34.7

MO% 8.0 H

EO% 1.3

BA% 0.2

RBC 6.36 H

HGB 16.3 g/dL

HCT 49.1 %

MCV 77.2 L fL

MCH 25.6 L pg

MCHC 33.2 g/dL

PLT 348 K/cmm

MPV 9.0 fL

(I'm sorry if I sent this more than once, I wasn't sure if I had replied correctly)

How is your weight & height?

How is your diet?

Do you have exercise regularly?

What symptoms did you have when you had the tests on 11th?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm 5 ft 7 in, 249 lbs. I understand that being overweight has something to do with shortness of breath (I also forgot to mention that I've had weakness and fatigue easily. For example, when I do sit-ups I start to shake, or when I lift something heavy I shake. Sometimes for a few hours I become weak in only my left arm.)

I don't exercise regularly at all and my diet is very poor, I eat more than the size of my hand and I don't drink a whole lot of water, which is why I had this test done and am trying to diet significantly better.

I didn't have any other symptoms when I had the test one on the 11th.

Thank you Alexander, for the information,

Increased white blood cell count can be due to several causes.

Common causes are infection, allergy, inflammation, tissue damage etc.

Leukemia can also cause rise of white blood cells but the count is usually very high & there would be abnormal cells.

The atypical lymphocytes can be present in different conditions.

Immunological reactions, immunization, infection, malignancy, drug reaction etc. can cause it.

Raised WBC along with neutrophila & atypical lymphocytes indicate an infection as likely cause.

Monocyte count & MPV can also be out of range from infection.

As you have infection or inflammation in the eye, this can be the cause.

Increase in RDW suggests that the red cells have varied in sizes.

Though your other parameters are not bad, your dHDL is low so the ratio of cholesterol & HDL has come high.

You need to try some life style changes.

There are few lifestyle changes which you are aware already like avoiding smoking, taking less fat, maintaining ideal weight or BMI.

Regular exercise & walking will help you a lot.

You need to increase the intake of fresh vegetables & fruits.

You can also take the help of a dietitian for planning your diet

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alright but I've researched those things already. I just want to know if this is something I should be very concerned about. More specifically, from what you can gather and from one human being to another, do you think that I may have something that looks more common than abnormal or severe?

I suffer from anxiety so if you have ever felt it before or have been so worried for your well being, you might understand where I am coming from.

I'm not asking for a definite answer, I just want your professional opinion as to what you think I may have.

Your results are not abnormal or severe.

At your age and height, your weight is not normal which you already know.

We should be concerned about it.

If you did not have your thyroid tested, you should have a test for it.

Low thyroid status is a common cause of excessive weight. it should be checked.

First of all, you should start taking active measures to reduce the weight and start healthy diet to increase you HDL level.

The other parameters in the test results are not worrying.

After adequate diet change, exercise, you should repeat the tests after 3 months.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much, Doctor. You don't know how relieving and important it is to finally hear that from an expert such as yourself. I thank you again for putting my fears at ease. I'll be sure to take aggressive action on my weight and diet. That [unlike the news I feared most] is something I can deal with in peace.

Again, thank you so much.

You are always welcome.

Good luck.