Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.

I started taking Acetril 4mg two weeks ago and just recently

I started taking Acetril 4mg two weeks ago and just recently I am having dizziness but only when I get up and start walking not lying down, I am also taking some antibiotics Cefurexime which I aslo just started 1000 mg per day, I am not sure which drug is contributing to this dizziness?
Submitted: 11 months ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 11 months ago.
Associated stuffy nose,cough,sore throat,fever?
Headache?
Clogged ears?
Have you checked your blood pressure?
Is Acetril containing Enalapril?just to confirm dear?
Any other medical history?
For which medical condition are you taking Cefuroxime?
How many dose of Cefuroxime have you taken already?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes have some sore throat and sinus pain below my ears. I checked my BP was 160/100. Have taken 4 days of Cefurexime at 1000 mg per day

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

BP today was a bit high at 160/100 normally it is 135/80. Also, dizziness when I get up. Not so when lying down. I have also been taking Atenolol Beta Blocker for 3 years, 50 mg.

Cefuroxime was prescribed because some infection was diagnosed in my Sputum. Have some pain under my ears possibly sinuses and some Sputum.

Thanks for providing more information.

Well as you describe there may be possibility of Eustachian tube dysfunction due to Sinusitis which can result in dizziness.

You should try OTC Coricidin HBP and Motrin.

If Acetril containing Enalapril then it can be a contributing factor in dizziness.

You should do saline gargles and drink warm liquids.

Even your blood pressure is high so take your medications as per directed and take proper rest.

Also hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

If you have throat pain, you can try OTC Oral Betadine antiseptic mouth gargles.

If your symptoms 'll persist then you need to be seen by an ENT(Ear-Nose-Throat)specialist for a clinical examination for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Its frustrating because reading on the web, the high dose of Cefurixime can also cause dizziness. Also am very frustrated about the spike in BP. It is regular for several weeks at 135/80 and now spike up without any change in habits or medication.

I have been taking Cefurizime 1000 mg a day for 4 days now and the pain under the ears is still contuining and also the Sputum is there although somewhat better. Shall I take the risk of contuning these medications both Acetril and Cefurixime? The cardiologist is on holiday

I understand your concern and usually for throat & sinus infection,dosage of Cefuroxime is 250-500 mg twice a day.
And it's possible that you are not tolerated this 500 mg dosage twice a day which can result in your symptoms.
Usually antibiotics start to work after 24-48 hours and as you are feeling better so you shouldn't abruptly stop this antibiotic without consulting your doctor.
As if you don't complete the antibiotic course then your infection'll not resolve.
If you want to discontinue this medication then it's wise to consult your doctor and your doctor may either adjust medication dosage or opt for other antibiotic.
As your cardiologist is not available right now so it's advised to visit your nearby Internist/doctor or if possible visit ER for prompt management.
You need to be seen by an ENT specialist for a clinical examination rather than waiting for Cardiologist.
You should try OTC Coricidin HBP and Motrin in the meantime.
Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.
Also monitor your blood pressure after taking your anti-hypertensive medications.

I hope this helps.
Feel free for any further query.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The problem is that I am working now in small town in China and I am not able to get prompt attention. Will have to travel to Shanghai to get attention.

One question, if this dizziness was a symptom of Acetril wouldn't it have occurred when I started it about 3 weeks ago and not just now?

The only new addition is the Cefurixime which I started on Sunday with the heavy dose. I am also allergic to Pennicilin maybe this Cephlasporin is a problem. I will call the doctor and see if I can discontinue this medicine.

I am seeing NO improvement with this medicine since 4 days now.

As you have high blood pressure now so this can be an aggravating factor in dizziness which can be associated with Eustachian tube dysfunction.
Cross-allergy risk of 10% between cephalosporins and penicillin have been found,recent assessments have shown no increased risk for cross-allergy for cefuroxime.
Usually rash,gastrointestinal symptoms are seen with such allergy.

You should discuss this with your doctor and if required,your doctor may opt for other medications like Fluoroquinolones.
And as you are not seeing any improvement then it's good to change the antibiotic.

You should call your doctor for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.