Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

White male age 64. Self cath 2-1/2+ years due to BPH unrelieved

White male age 64. Self cath 2-1/2+ years due to BPH unrelieved by finasteride 5 mg daily. One hospitalization at 1+ years due to e-coli kidney infection. Afterward (1-1/2+ years), frequent (but not always) cloudy urine with sulphur odor which I assume is bacterial infection but I ignore it and have no other symptoms. Is it possible to have a chronic benign or beneficial or even protective bladder colony? I would have little trouble believing that as I have to self cath quite often in non-sterile situations (old home renovation/construction business) ranging from crawl spaces to portalets and I re-use catheters for months with only city or well water rinse, air dry. BTW, I use povodone-iodine solution right out of the bottle for lubricant, works great.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Are you asking if you likely have a UTI?

Customer:

No. I am asking if a UTI can be benign, beneficial, or even protective. If I have a UTI it seems to be at home with me and has not produced any symptoms except for the cloudy urine and sulphur odor. Not having a fulminate infection keeps me out of the hospital and I was wondering if there is any history of a bladder colony sort of keeping the local environment free of other bacteria. As an example, my mouth bacteria seems to keep me free of cavities (40 plus years).

Dr Brims :

A UTI can be benign, especially in your case where you have to self catheterize

Dr Brims :

It cannot be protective or beneficial

Dr Brims :

The bacteria may not be virulent, and thus not cause as much harm

Customer:

So, in spite of my poor sterile practices, I have just been lucky the past 1-1/2 years.

Dr Brims :

You may have been lucky or have a strong immune system or both

Customer:

Thanks for your answers. I am satisfied. I just thought that being as how I have read that some oral bacteria is more beneficial to teeth than others and how some gut bacteria is better for your health than others, then maybe some bladder bacteria might be better than others. Good day.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future you may request me

Dr Brims :

"Dr Brims" and I will answer

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions on this topic, you may click a rating button to end the chat session