Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

throat

I feel a small bony prominence underneath my adam's apple. Is that normal?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

When did you notice it?

Is it a new appearance?

Is it increasing in size?

Is it movable?

Did you get it examined by doctor?

Do you feel pain or any other symptom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ate something the other day that got stuck in my throat. It subsequently caused some pain. So, I was massaging my neck to see if I could get it to go down. That is how I noticed it. The pain has subsided, but I noticed the bony prominence. It moves when i swallow up and down. It's very hard...like bone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I touch it, it doesn't hurt.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Manuel, for the information.

It is likely to be prominent thyroid cartilage.

This can move on swallowing.

The prominence varies from person to person.

In thin persons it can be prominent.

If you think it has increased suddenly then you need to get it checked by doctor.

Otherwise you can wait & watch.

If it increases in size or if you develop any pain in it you need to get an examination by doctor.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If it were something other than the cartilage, would it not move when swallowing? What else could it be?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Hello Manuel,

As it moves with swallowing, it is related to the cartilage.

Thyroglossal cyst can move with swallowing but it is not hard like bone.

Sebaceous cyst is another possibility, which is firm not hard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Sorry, I got nervous. I thought it could possibly be a tumor or something serious.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
From your history, it does not seem to be a tumor.

However, if it increases in size or if you feel any pain, cough, voice change, you should get it checked by doctor.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You are always welcome.

Wish your healthy life.

Good luck.