Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have been seen by my OBGYN for a bartholin cyst. Even though

I have been seen by my OBGYN for a bartholin cyst. Even though it has cause no problems recently. Yesterday, I started to notice some discomfort. I took a hand held mirror and examine my self. The bartholin cyst had appear to grow larger. There is a lump that looks like a clear greenish color on top of my bartholin cyst. I already have schedule a appointment for August in advance. Need to know if this is an infection or what to do? I have not taking any Tylenol or other meds to help with the pain.

Hi--so your GYN decided to do nothing about it? Has it been draining at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last year, I had this issue and I had a procedure done and of course this year it came back, He told me to take 2 hot baths a day indefinitely or call him for a marsuptatlization. He also said if I get red bumps and fever to go to E.R.

OK--what was the procedure--just drainage? And, again, any drainage from it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, an incision was done on the cyst and carther was placed in me for 2 weeks for drainage.

OK--if it's getting tender and there's green on top it's likely getting infected. For now you can try Sitz baths--soaking in a tub of warm water for 15 minutes three times a day--to see if it will rupture and drain, and, if it does, that may take care of the infection. You should let your GYN know about this in case he'd want to see you before August. At this point, since it's lasted so long and now is getting infected I think it's time to have the marsupialization procedure to take care of it once and for all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will the marsupialization cause it to stay gone for good? I really don't want to go through this again. How long will it take before I heal from this procedure and how long will it take before I can have sex again?

Yes--the procedure is basically to open up the cyst and evert the edges--turn them outward--and suture them in place. This creates a small open pouch--like a kangaroo's pouch, hence the term marsupialization. It heals in about two weeks and you can resume sex after that time.