Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have a question about a bump on the bridge of my nose. It

I have a question about a bump on the bridge of my nose. It is hard and quite painful to the touch. it is constant--meaning it does not come and go. I am wondering if it is a cyst.
Hi--how long have you had it there and is there any redness?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no redness. I have had it for apprx 6 mo all of which was minimal until the last mo or so. There is nothing visible other than swelling.

OK--even if it's hard is it somewhat movable, and, just curious--haven't you had a doctor look at it after all this time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is not movable. I do not have medical insurance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it feels like bone or cartilidge----like a small marble. There also appears to be some extra cartilidge growing down within the flesh in my nostril

OK. I can't examine you, of course, but it sounds like a sebaceous cyst and if it's getting tender it could be getting infected. It won't go away on its own and if it does start to get red or to drain pus you'll need antibiotics for it. I understand the insurance problem, but you should have a doctor look at it and then you can decide if you can afford to have it removed under local anesthesia
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I completely understand that you cannot examine or diagnose me-and I am only asking an opinion----if theoretically it was a cyst----could a topical

antibiotic creme help it?

Not really unless it were infected. There really isn't anything topical that will "dissolve" a cyst