911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

My son is 2 years and 4 months the problem with him is that

My son is 2 years and 4 months the problem with him is that he doesn't talk the only words he says are: car and baba which means dad in English otherwise he is trying to talk but nothing understandable do you think I should worry about him or it is normal ?

911Doctor :

It's quite normal for kids to develop differently.

911Doctor :

It seems your son is doing quite well, and I expect he will get more words very soon.

911Doctor :

As you can see, a few words at his age may be slightly behind the curve

911Doctor :

but if this is the only issue it is not something to become overly concerned about

911Doctor :

I agree with your pediatrician's advice to send him to nursery school

911Doctor :

so that he can interact with other toddlers

911Doctor :

and this may well prompt him to gain more words

911Doctor :

and if he uses his current words appropriately and appears to understand more than he speaks this can only be considered normal

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If this problem continues after the age of 3 years do you think I should worry ?

Yes, I think that that would indicate a language delay and that your son might need speech therapy at that point, but it is very early to be 'borrowing trouble' and worrying about this.

Your pediatrician is an expert in child development. If he or she is not concerned you can relax and trust them. As shown in the above link, children are 'ahead' of other kids in some developmental tasks (walking for instance) and lag in other areas.

I think nursery school will be a very good thing for your son, and would not be at all surprised if his language skills develop very quickly indeed over the next few months.

You sound like a very good mother for your son. Try not to worry so much about this, but then again, being a father, I do understand your concern.

best