Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Hello, My husband just got an HIV test with the following results

Hello, My husband just got an HIV test with the following results and we do not know how to intrepret the data:

HIV 1/0/2 Abs, Qual Repeadedly Reactive Abnormal Index Value is 2.23

The Western Blot is Negative and all the antibodies are absent. Please help!

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Can you list the results again for me to interpret?

Customer:

HIV 1/0/2 Abs, Qual Repeatedly Reactive Abnormal Reference Interval-Non Reactive Lab 01

Customer:

The Western Blot says Negative and the antibodies all say Absent

Customer:

The Abs-Index Value is 2.23

Dr Brims :

Okay, this means he does not have HIV even though the antibody test is reactive, the western blot is the confirmatory test and since it is negative it means he does not have HIV

Customer:

We just took another test today and the lady said that if the numbers show up at 4-5 tomorrow and Antibodies are present then he does have it. As you can see we are nervous and distraught since we were trying to have a baby doing IVF. Is there a chance that tomorrow the Western Blot test might show up Positive?? I ask because he swears he has not had any exposure recently, he thinks if he contracted it it was from 20 years ago. My test was negative and we have been married for 12 years. I guess my last question is, if he has been carrying the disease, from back then, I should be positive, is this correct?

Dr Brims :

Yes, if he has been carrying the disease for 20 years, you should have it as well

Dr Brims :

It is unlikely his western blot will show up positive tomorrow

Dr Brims :

Since it has already been negative

Customer:

Thank you!! You are an Angel!!

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

I am happy I could help

Dr Brims :

If you still have questions on this topic please feel free to ask

If you haveno other questions on this topic, you may click a rating button to end the chat session

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future you may request me by starting the question with "Dr Brims" and I will answer