Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

As I was shopping at department store I kept looking at the

Customer Question

As I was shopping at department store I kept looking at the sign that said Men's Flip-flops. For some reason the hyphen keeps me focusing on the words. I tried not to make it obvious and remained calm and looked forward and walked away. There were other signs that said flip-flops as well but I continued to walk away. Again I should not be worried that there is any connection to the heart and this is strictly vision function?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

You have nothing to worry about, this will not affect your hear and there is no connection to the heart

Dr Brims :

It is strictly related to vision

Customer:

So when I stop and stare for a minute at the sign then move quickly away to break the staring ritual from ocd my heart is not affected at all because this is strictly vision function?

Dr Brims :

No, your heart is not affected at all

Customer:

Am I best to look away when this happens and physically walk away?

Dr Brims :

Yes. that would be best

Customer:

any other suggestions to keep myself from staring at certain signs or symbols?

Customer:

this really bugs me and flares up my ocd

Dr Brims :

Try to focus on whats ahead of you instead of any signs or symbols

Customer:

could you give me an example?

Dr Brims :

Instead of staring at a sign concentrate on walking in front of you and look ahead

Customer:

so after I look at the sign in front of me walk away from it out of my vision?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that is correct

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

just frustrated with trying to beat this ocd of staring

Dr Brims :

Is there anything else I can help you answer on this topic?

Customer:

it seems like it pops up anywhere I am at

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear that

Customer:

so from now on any time I feel the urge to stare at a particular sign like I did earlier that said flip-flops move walk away from it and don't look back?

Dr Brims :

Yes, don't look back

Customer:

and again there was no harm in looking at it for that short period and walking away at certain periods in the store?

Dr Brims :

No, there was no harm

Customer:

strictly vision right?

Dr Brims :

Yes, strictly vision

Customer:

could there be a problem with my vision from the staring episodes or is this mainly from anxiety?

Dr Brims :

This cannot cause a problem with your vision

Customer:

so its the anxiety behavior I must ignore

Dr Brims :

Yes, it is from anxiety

Dr Brims :

You should ignore it

Customer:

thank you Dr Brims from now on I move away from anything I begin or think I will stare at

Customer:

like what I described earlier I mean

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Customer:

the more I move away from the staring will it get easier to beat?

Dr Brims :

Yes, the more you move away the easier it is to beat

Customer:

thank you again

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr I have had a bad time with OCD the last few days. My follow up questions are regarding staring at objects on tv screen is the vision function separate from the heart functions and also as you explained the heart pumps in its own way so there is no need for me to worry that repeated touching of any objects or clothing will affect its functioning? this was embarrassing earlier I kept pulling up the inside seam of my briefs and worried if I do not do that so many times it will affect the heart but again that has no affect on the heart and it is probably best I stop the repeated touching motion? Thank you again

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
The vision is separate from the heart function

There is no need to worry about any of your actions affecting its functioning

It is bet you stop repeating the touching motions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my ocd was bad today can holding on to a cell phone or setting down and picking up a cell phone affect the heart in any bad way?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Please open a new question for this new post