I am sorry about the late response. This is due to appropriate specialist coming online and answering the question. Most of the experts here on the site have their day jobs too.
The bulge you mentioned is likely to be bursa enlargement due to inflammation. It is not normal. Carrying bottles on an injured weight bearing joint can put abnormal stress on the other joints (knee and back) and result in the ligament, muscle and tendon strain / sprain.
Following measures also would be helpful in the knee problem;
1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.
a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.
b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.
c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.
d) Avoid climbing stairs.
e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging. f) Reduce weight gradually for the long term benefit.
2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.
3) Anti-inflammatory medications
4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.
5) Orthotics and bracing.
6) Local analgesic sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.
7) Deep Electrotherapy by physical therapist.
These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;
Similar measures are helpful for the ankle too.
This is most likely due to the pinched nerves in the back which are giving you back symptoms (tingling, numbing like pain). Following measures would be helpful;
1) Back care in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems. Back education is one of the most important thing which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activity helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when back is painful in case they have to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:
a) Avoid activities which increases the pain.
b) Rest intermittently
c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees
d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided till pain subsides
f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing
g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on floor
2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen, other analgesics and muscle relaxants
3) Local analgesic gels or sprays / ointment
4) Hot fomentation
5) Electrotherapy like trans cutaneous electrical nerve stimulation: done by physical therapist. Other thing are ice packs, heating pads, electrical stimulation, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, relaxation, and biofeedback.
6) Good supervised physiotherapy: The exercises consist of abdominal bracing, modified sit-ups, double-knee-to-chest or low back stretches, seat lifts, mountain and sag exercises, knee-to-elbow exercises, hamstring stretches, extension exercises, and extension flexibility exercises. Swimming exercises (pool exercises) are best for back pain. Initial stretching and later strengthening exercises are taught.
7) Lumbosacral corset or support or brace
8) Reduce weight for long term benefit.
You can start the following exercises;
1) Straight leg raising: Lie on the bed with your back and remain in a relaxed position. Slowly raise one of your legs upward and keep it as straight as possible. Count up to ten, and slowly bring down the leg. Do the same with the other leg. Repeat this exercise ten times.
2) Curl ups; lie on the back with knees bent, fold arms across the chest, tilt the pelvis to flatten the back, and curl-up lifting the head and shoulders from the bed / couch. Hold for ten seconds, then slowly lower to starting position. As strength builds, aim to complete one sets of ten curls. The exercise should be done twice a day (both the sets).
This is a slide show for the exercises (you can pick up your own set, which suits you);
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know your further queries. I would be happy to address them.