Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Dr. Chip, would it be good exercise to listen to a CD and do

Dr. Chip, would it be good exercise to listen to a CD and do the following exercises during one song: jumping up and down, stationary running, toe touches, jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, and karate kicks. And then rest for the duration of the next song, and then proceed with the same exercises as indicated above again on the next song, and then rest on the next song, and so forth, until all the songs on the CD finish? Thank you.
Hi. Just curious--how long are the songs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All songs vary, but they can range anywhere from 3 minutes to 6 minutes. Probably 3 minutes and some seconds to 5 minutes and some seconds to be exact. I'm just rounding it off.

And are you planning to do all that you mentioned above during just one song?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I can. Otherwise, just what I can do, and will probably do the exercises that I couldn't do in the next song. In other words, I plan to do alternations. Jump up and down until I get tired and/or bored of it, and then switch to jumping jacks, (maybe 15) and then switch to toe touches, (maybe 15) and then switch to stationary running until I get tired and/or bored, and then switch to about 10 push-ups, and then switch to a few karate kicks that I know of. And then in the next song, I will try to shoot for 30 sit-ups, and then the next song, just do as many sit-ups as I can along with the other exercises. Something like that. I wish I owned something very spacious like a gym; then I would just run or jog around the building until the song stopped and rest in the next song. Unfortunately, I don't own anything spacious enough.

OK. First off, all that sounds fine so far as getting in some exercise, but if we're looking at cardiovascular health, the aerobic parts--all the things except the pushups and situps--are best, XXXXX XXXXX best to do those for at least fifteen minutes at a time to really exercise the heart. All of what you mention is good for burning some calories. So, botXXXXX XXXXXne, good for you to have a plan like this, but I suggest doing the aerobic parts continuously for, say, three or four songs and then cool down a bit and do the pushups and situps. And you need to do this at least four times a week to get the full benefits.