A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have been having a small muscle spasm followed by a twitch

I have been having a small muscle spasm followed by a twitch of my left index finger. Any suggestions as to what this may be and what I should do? I have never had any vitamin supplements which I have started a week ago, I work out regularly too.

Welcome to our service and thanks for your question. Let me introduce myself. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your question. But first I'd like a little more information.

Did the spasms begin exactly when you started the supplements last week?

What supplements are you taking?

Have you done any unusual activity (a new exercise, gardening, prolonged typing, or anything else at all different) this past week?

Have you noticed it anywhere else but the index finger?

Is there any pain involved or just the annoyance of a twitch that wasn't there before?

I doubt this is anything at all to be concerned about, but I would like some more information to proceed.

All the best,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The spasms started before my supplements. It is a multi vitamins with B complex. I work out regularly, but have stopped putting pressure in my wrists as I lifted light weights. There is no pain involved, just the annoyance of the twitch.

Thanks a lot for your help. I am worried about this, especially after looking and reading all there is on line about this.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi, Omar,

I doubt just normal quantities of multi-vitamins would have anything to do with it. It is when people take mega-doses of supplements that they tend to get into trouble.

The most common causes of spasm and twitches are overwork of muscles or compression of the nerve that supplies that finger. Usually nerve compression will also result in some symptoms being felt in the thumb, the index finger, and the middle finger as well. One may be worse than the other. This is the median nerve that you may be familiar with from hearing about carpal tunnel syndrome. That nerve goes all the way up to the shoulder.

You can try bracing the wrist at night for a week or two to see if that helps. Wrist braces are sold at most pharmacies. Icing the wrist for 20 minutes after each workout may also help.

If you don't get relief in a couple of weeks, then you will want to see your primary provider. Please try not to worry though. Usually it is nothing worse than muscle overwork or an irritated nerve and some rest and icing will take care of the problem.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot!! I hope this goes away soon! I was very worried yesterday as twitch happened very regularly!
Thanks! I will try your suggestions!

You're so very welcome!

Yes, twitches and spasms are a real PITA (pain in the arm)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
but they are rarely ever anything concerning, other than their annoyance value. Hope the annoyance goes away soon.

All the best,