Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

just started going gym been doing in everyday went on the dumbell

just started going gym been doing in everyday went on the dumbell curls and got pins and nedals in my thumb just. my wrist doesnt hurt and my index finger has no pins and nedals. do you think iv over done it in the gym and hurt my thumb muscle ? as people say CTS.. but is there any other symptoms for pins and nedals in thumb that isnt cts
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

CTS usually involves more than one fingers.

mysticdoc :

You likely injured the nerve and muscle of the thumb--so this is not typically called CTS.

mysticdoc :

This happened from weight lifting in the gym.

mysticdoc :

You need to rest your thumb for a week at least.

mysticdoc :

You can wear a thumb splint for rest at night time.

mysticdoc :

This will improve gradually.

mysticdoc :

THis is not concerning.

Customer:

so worried its cts

mysticdoc :

not yet

mysticdoc :

but if you do not rest well, it may turn into one

Customer:

when i put the wrist stap on it makes pins and nedals worse

mysticdoc :

avoid wrist strap for now as this is likely pressing on the nerves

Customer:

how about light pressure?

mysticdoc :

still better to avoid for now

Customer:

and i get a little pins and nedals in index like 2% compared with the thumb

mysticdoc :

yes that is also nerve compression related at the wrist

mysticdoc :

this is still early stage --hence will fully recover with rest

Customer:

also if i touch my wrist it dosent give me pins and nedals

mysticdoc :

that is not concerning.

Customer:

what would you say would cause the pins and nedals ?

mysticdoc :

due to the pressure on the nerves

Customer:

cooling gel good ?

Customer:

ibprufen ?

mysticdoc :

ibuprofen is ok for the pain

mysticdoc :

cooling gel no help.

Customer:

as in no help making worse or no help at all ? as when i use it i like the feeling and it takes pins away

mysticdoc :

it will not make worse.

Customer:

so im ok to use it

mysticdoc :

but you can use it since you feel better

Customer:

am i best it use strap at night ?

mysticdoc :

should not be too tight

Customer:

cts is it curable ?

mysticdoc :

yes it is

Customer:

going back to doctors hopfully they will sign me off

Customer:

how about driving ?

mysticdoc :

yes you should see your doctor.

mysticdoc :

driving is ok

Customer:

im been poking my fingers to see if i have feelings

Customer:

can i lift with my fingers just not my thumb ? i have a grip master any good ? or shall i let it heal first ?

mysticdoc :

avoid too heavy lifting

mysticdoc :

rest is the best

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD