Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

what help is their for my husband (80 yrs) who falls asleep

what help is their for my husband (80 yrs) who falls asleep to quickly even when we are talking to him and sometimes doing tasks around the house. I am very concerned us lawn mower etc.

HI. Can you tell me more about this? Does he just suddenly fall asleep and when he does, is he easily arousable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can tell he is tired and yes he quickly wakes up when I speak to him.

OK--does his doctor know about this? Does he seem very tired or less energy most of the time? How's his sleep at night?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know he works to hard. He is a Land surveyor and is still working, has a hard time saying no to people when they call and wants his help. He has a passion for his work. It gets him out and feels usefull. His Dr. does know him well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He seems to sleep very well at night.

Well has his doctor had anything to say about this? I have some thoughts but I'd like to know first if his doctor has tried to find the cause.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No not for this problem. I think he probably thinks he works to hard.

Well, you may be right but here are my thoughts. My very first thought is that, even though he may seem to sleep well throughout the night, he likely has a sleep problem, maybe sleep apnea, and he needs a sleep study. Even if he doesn't actually wake up during the night, this can disrupt the REM sleep cycle and causes fatigue during the day even after, say, 6 to 8 hours of "sound" sleep. The other possibility is his heart and I would assume he's being followed by a cardiologist, but congestive heart failure or a problem with his pacemaker could also cause this. Finally, it could be a problem with low thyroid or low cortisol levels. I would hope he'd discuss all these possibilities with his doctor. One other possibility, less likely, would be depression
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thank you for your suggestions. They all sound feasable. Yes, I will be talking to his Doctor. I appreciate your help. Thanks again.