Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have type 2 diabetes. I have noticed lately that my urine

I have type 2 diabetes. I have noticed lately that my urine smells like ammonia. Should I be concerned and call my doctor.
What is your most recent finger stick?
Any burning with urination? Back pain or fever?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you referring to my sugar level? I am diabetic. No fever and no more back pain than I usually. My A1C is 6.8 as of July 17. My creatine level has been around 1.7. I also see a nephrologist
Thank you,

I am going to opt out. There is too much delay between when you and I are on for me to help you

Less fluid intake (a concentrated urine) is one of the possibility for urine smell. A mild urinary tract infection (UTI), which may not be symptomatic, especially in the diabetes, is the other cause. Alcohol, diet (asparagus etc) are the other reasons. So the small may not be concerning, but it do warrant a urine examination. Please see this resource;

If dehydration, UTI, dietary factors, alcohol are ruled out, your doctor may consider repeating some blood work like blood urea nitrogen and liver function tests.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your reply. It has helped me to make a decision to see my medical doctor and have a urine test. I really don't want to take any chances.

Yes, this is the right decision to see your doctor and get a urine test. It is always good to work on the precautionary side in diabetics.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please rate (Good / excellent) the answer as it is the only way we are paid and get credit for answer, time and expertize..