Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.

Im freaking out here. Ive had various symptoms over the

I'm freaking out here. I've had various symptoms over the past month or so that I was chalking up to anxiety - chest tightness, some very light itching, a little bit of a stuffy nose, feeling like I need to clear my throat, and a little bit tired - but I thought all of that was because I had been really anxious lately about a few things, nothing out of the ordinary. I went to the doctor last week for it and they gave me a EKG and a chest x-ray - both were completely fine. Since then I've been checking my lymph nodes religiously and today when I was driving I felt one up by my jawline that felt a little large. I went to urgent care again, they felt it, and said that it was a lymph node and that it seemed a little bit swollen as well. They ran a mono test and CBC, both came back fine. The doctor even said my CBC was "stone cold normal." Needless to say, I'm freaking out here, I had attributed all the symptoms before to anxiety, but now in my head I'm dead certain that I have cancer. Help? They just called it "reactive." Should I really wait a few weeks, or should I start making follow up appointments for monday - if it's cancer I don't want to wait at all. Thanks for your time.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.
Do you have phlegm at back of throat?
Headache?
Cough?
Fever?
Are you taking any medications?
Any other medical history?
History of allergy?
Smoking and alcohol history?
What is your occupation?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have some phlem, I don't know if it's post nasal or what, but I feel like I have to clear stuff out. I don't have headaches any more than I normally do, haven't had a significant one in some time now. No real cough, no - just a feeling of needing to clear my throat. No fever. I'm only taking St. John's Wort for anxiety. No important medical history, I don't think. Not sure about allergies. No smoking or drinking at all. I'm a delivery driver.

Thanks for providing more information.

Well as you describe possible causes may include Gastroesophageal reflux disease,Sinusitis/Pharnygitis.

And usually Chest X-ray,EKG,CBC findings are normal in such conditions.

You need to be seen by an ENT specialist for a clinical examination,Larngoscopy,Throat culture.

In the meantime you should try OTC Claritin.

Swollen lymph node can be caused due to defensing mechanism of body to fight infection(it can be viral).

And it usually resolve by it's own when your infection gets clear.

You should take OTC Motrin and apply warm compresses on affected area.

Also do menthol steam inhalation and saline gargles which relieve stuffy nose,throat irritation.

Start a multivitamin supplement which increase your immunity.

And drink warm liquids.

Avoid spicy,fried foods,carbonated beverages.

I want to assure you that chances of cancer are very less likely in your case and you shouldn't worry about it.

Sometimes anxiety makes the physical symptoms and sometimes physical symptoms make person more anxious.

So make an appointment with an ENT specialist rather than visit ER.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if
you are satisfied with our conversation
.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went to 2 urgent cares today, and here's what they said: I want to get your opinion on it.

The 1st urgent care woman, I think a nurse, said that she didn't even for a second think it was a lymph node. But, she said that I should get my ears cleaned because they were clogged and that could be causing the swelling. I don't usually trust this urgent care for some reason, though.

The 2nd urgent care woman - a doctor, said that it WAS a lymph node.

Could the ear clogging theory be right? If so, how should I unclog it? Thanks so much. Sorry for the follow-up.

Thanks for the follow-up.
Clogged ears can be associated with Sinusitis,Eustachian tube blockage.
You should start OTC Claritin.
And also try OTC decongestant like Sudafed.
Try Valsalva manoeuvre
-Take a breath in. Then, try to breathe out gently with your mouth closed and pinching your nose. In this way, no air is blown out but you are gently pushing air into the Eustachian tube. If you do this you may feel your ears go 'pop' as air is forced into the middle ear. This sometimes eases the problem.
Even swollen lymph node can be associated with Sinusitis.

And it's good to see an ENT specialist rather than consider wait & watch approach.
You may require proper evaluation and management by a specialist.

I hope this helps.
you are satisfied with our conversation.

Thank you.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

Thank you.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm so sorry that I haven't paid you for your help. I will do so after this last question, how's that sound?

Like you advised, I went to the ENT. He felt the lymph node and didn't seem all that concerned about it. He told me to schedule an appointment in September and he'll check it again. I've been trying not to feel it that often, but I felt it this morning and it's the same size as it was Saturday or so. I'm really freaked out about it because this lymph node in addition to the bizarre non-specific symptoms really makes me feel like there's something more going on. A CT scan would really put my mind at ease OR show that there's something wrong and then this whole process could move forward. Am I overreacting? Is a CT scan excessive at this point? The whole "wait and see" approaches scares the hell out of me because I keep thinking about how if this is something serious I'm getting "wait and see" while something is lurking inside of me. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the follow-up.
Well most of the swollen lymph node resolve in 3-4 weeks.
And CT scan should be advised if you have 3-4 swollen lymph nodes associated other symptoms like fever,fatigue,pain,weight loss etc.
It's good to start a multi vitamin supplement which increase your immunity and helps in resolving swollen lymph node.
And drink warm liquids.
I want to assure you again that chances of cancer are very less likely in your case and you shouldn't worry about it.
In case,your swollen lymph node persist more than a month then CT scan should be considered.
Having said this,if you are still worrying and don't want to wait then further blood work like CBC, ESR,Absolute Eosinophil count and CT scan should be advised by your doctor.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's exactly the thing - just because I noticed the swollen lymph node Saturday doesn't mean that it just happened. While feeling kind of bizarre I took to checking myself more diligently and that's when I discovered it - who knows how long it's been there? My CBC (typically is with lymphoma unless it's late stage, I've heard) was fine, I told my primary care all of my symptoms and my ENT all of my symptoms and they both seemed to be very un-worried about everything. I guess I don't feel like I'm being listened to?

Like you've said before, you wouldn't give me a CT scan if I were your patient, right? It's just one of the only things I can think about all the sudden.

Well firstly a single lymph node doesn't indicate cancer itself.
So C T scan should be done only if you are worrying about it all the time for a precautionary measure to ease your anxiety.
Otherwise,it's not so compulsory to do with your current symptoms.
When a person have cancer then CBC gets abnormal and presents with clinical symptoms like chronic fever,weight loss,fatigue,etc. name a few.

I think you understand my point.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.