Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

when i went to my doctor, he said that since there is a great

Customer Question

when i went to my doctor, he said that since there is a great disparity between the top number and the bottom number of my blood pressure reading, that means i do NOT have high blood pressure.

is this true??

150/100.

he says that there is no blockage and its possible that something is inflammed. is this true?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.
Do you have associated symptoms like dizziness,headache,lightheadedness?
Have you monitored your blood pressure regularly?
What is the current blood pressure reading?
Any other medical history?
Are you taking any medications?
Stress and anxiety?
Fast heart rate,sweating,chest pain,heaviness in chest?
What is your occupation?
Are you overweight?
Any other investigations so far?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have associated symptoms like dizziness,headache,lightheadedness?>>no
Have you monitored your blood pressure regularly?>>somewhat
What is the current blood pressure reading?>>3 yrs later, its still 150/100
Any other medical history?>>no
Are you taking any medications?>>no
Stress and anxiety?>>stress, yes.
Fast heart rate,sweating,chest pain,heaviness in chest?>>no
What is your occupation?>>writer/sales
Are you overweight?>>3 yrs ago i wasnt. now i am 40 lbs overweight.
Any other investigations so far?>>no

Thanks for providing more information.
Well firstly our blood pressure gradually rises with growing age which is normal.
So at per your age ,minimum reading of BP is 116 /81 mm Hg , and the maximum BP should not exceed 142/89 mm Hg which should be considered normal.

A blood pressure of 150/100 mm Hg is considered borderline Stage II hypertension. What that means for you is that you need to be part of a healthier lifestyle with diet and exercise.
Even physical exercise, stress, some over the counter medications, and things like eating a heavy meal,stress can all raise your blood pressure, so if this is a one time high reading for you, you may need to just monitor your blood pressure to see if it comes down on it's own.
Currently,to diagnose high blood pressure,we also take into account the BP measured at home.
In fact this can be more accurate if multiple home readings are taken over a period of a month(daily at same time) and then returning to your doctor to discuss the readings that were collected to decide if BP medications need to be started or not.

At present,you have no associated symptoms so it may be possible that your doctor thinks this slightly high blood pressure can be associated with stress.

However we suggest you to start dietary and lifestyle modifications-
Specific DASH DIET.
For further reading -
www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

Do regular exercises.
Do yoga,deep breathing exercises,meditation.
Avoid alcohol,smoking if you are taking them.

And consult your doctor after few weeks to see if there is improvement.

I hope this helps.
Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. i have an extremely healthy diet. i eat 1400 cals a day. no salt, no sugar, no carbs, no junk food. i have eaten this way for almost a decade.

2. i am a gym rat. i work out 7 hrs a week including 5 hrs of cardio + 2 hours of weight training.

i am asking you to evaluate if his statement is correct. ie since the two numbers are spread very far apart 150/100, does that mean its NOT heart disease/high blood pressure?

i have never smoked.

As such inflammation in the body can result in a elevated blood pressure reading.But this is temporary and should resolve as the condition is healed.

But if the reading is persistently high(150/100 on three different occasions the patient is considered borderline Stage II hypertension.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

youre not answering the question:

1. does a big spread between the 2 numbers mean inflammation instead of a high blood pressure issue?

2. if so, how does one find the cause/source of the inflammation?

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Well firstly blood pressure of 150/100 mm Hg is not a serious condition.

And the numeric difference between your systolic and diastolic blood pressure is called your pulse pressure.

Generally, a pulse pressure greater than 40 mm Hg is abnormal.

A pulse pressure lower than 40 may mean you have poor heart function, while a higher pulse pressure may mean your heart's valves are leaky (valve regurgitation).

The most important cause of elevated pulse pressure is stiffness of the aorta, the largest artery in the body. The stiffness may be due to high blood pressure or fatty deposits on the walls of the arteries (atherosclerosis).

Other conditions including severe iron deficiency (anemia) and overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism),infection/inflammation can increase pulse pressure as well.

As you are physically active and taking good diet so chances of any blockage are less.

So further echocardiography,Ambulatory 24 hr blood pressure monitoring,Lipid panel,CBC,ESR and a clinical examination by a Cardiologist for a clinical examination if your blood pressure persists high.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you still havent answered the question....

does the spread in the numbers have any relevance to you that would steer you AWAY FROM a high blood pressure diagnosis?

Well spread in numbers(difference between systolic and diastolic numbers) can be caused due to anemia,Thyroid dysfunction,Infection apart from high blood pressure.

So further blood work like CBC,Thyroid function test should be done to rule out other possible causes.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Thank you.