kimo31
kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Family Practice resident.
14971955

I have a bad sore throat and am starting a cold. I am on Nexium

I have a bad sore throat and am starting a cold. I am on Nexium tramodol, synthroid,monrelukat alprazolam metoprolol warfarin cozaar hydrochlorothiazid can i take zicam for the cold.

kimo31 :

Hello, I will be assisting with your question today.

kimo31 :

May I begin by asking which type of Zicam you are inquiring about?

Customer:

ultra concentrated formula rapidmelts homeopathic

Customer:

zicam

kimo31 :

OK

kimo31 :

Yes I looked into this medication and it looks like there are two different labels for Zicam from what I am seeing. Does it include the medication oxymetazoline?

Customer:

no not that i can see

kimo31 :

OK great. While this medication is labeled as a controversial homepathic medication, it should be safe to take with your other medications.

Customer:

i could only read with your other medications.

kimo31 :

Ah. My apologies. I was stating that this medication is labeled as a homepathic medication and should therefor be safe to use with your other medications.

kimo31 :

If your sore throat does not improve in the next couple of days or you develop a fever, I would check in with your primary care doctor.

Customer:

are you saying it would be safe to use with the other medications

kimo31 :

yes I am

Customer:

Ok thank you.

I do want to report that there are some side effects that have been reported with this medication, one of which is the loss of smell. Some people do not experience this, but if you do then I recommend stopping this medication immediately. Other people state there is a burning sensation in their noses.