Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I recently (couple of weeks ago) discovered a hard lump in

I recently (couple of weeks ago) discovered a hard lump in my right armpit. It isn't terribly painful but is a little tender. I can move the skin over it and it is the size of a peanut. Last week I noticed a sore on my chin, kind of like a large cold sore, wet and oozy about the size of an elongated dime. I cleaned it with a stridex pad (non alcohol) for a couple of days and it scabbed over and went away. now a week later it is back, along with a small one in the opening of my nose. I have been under a lot of stress recently and I do work in the Texas heat, in a shop, not direct sun, but it gets over 110 degrees. I do stay hydrated and the skin on the back of my hand snaps right back when lifted. Any idea????
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about these issues. Sounds like you may have an infected or inflamed hair follicle in the underarm area. However, with the same sort of issue happening around the mouth area, could you have possibly been bitten by something in your shop?

If not, I would lean more towards the possibility of the hair follicle issue for the underarm and possibly the same for the lip. Being in hot conditions causes your skin to excrete more oil and the bacteria levels rise on the skin. More oil could mean a blocked hair follicle and cause the feeling of the lump.

This is usually self resolving with keeping the area clean by washing with soap and warm water, rinsing the area well and patting the area dry. You can try an over the counter cream such as Preparation H on the lump to see if it will shrink. Preparation H shrinks hemorrhoids but will also shrink other issues too.

If you don't get any change after another week or so or if the lump gets bigger or becomes warm and tender (signs of infection), you'll need to let your dr take a look and possibly drain it.

Let me know if I can help you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have researched this and know that it is not a hair follicle or sweat gland because as I mentioned I can move the skin over the lump. It is not a bug bite.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--let me see if I can help here. So far as you know the lump wasn't there before a couple of weeks ago? Is the lump itself mobile?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. It is fixed and hard.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And as far as you know it was just suddenly there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I noticed it washing under my arm in the shower. It was a little tender to the touch, but that seems to have decreased over the past few days, but the size seems the same.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--and we can continue after this if you need. This sounds like a sebaceous cyst and not a folliculitis problem, and it may resolve on it's own in a few days but if it's tender it's infected and considering the other area problems you mentioned you may have a MRSA problem--a staph infection that will require antibiotics. You may also be a MRSA carrier in your nose and I'd also give you Bactroban antibiotic ointment to be applied inside both nostrils for two weeks to cover that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The thing in my nose has been coming and going a for few years, a couple of times a year. I also have had infrequent cold sores on my lips since childhood.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, that part could be just another herpes problem but it wouldn't be connected to your underarm lump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What about the large cold sore type thing on my chin? That is new. It showed up last week, I treated it and it scabbed over and was fine, now it's back.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That sounds more like another MRSA infection rather than a cold sore. Of course, a prescription for acyclovir would help clear it up if it were but I still think you need antibiotics and probably the Bactroban ointment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Last question, which antibiotic?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Septra DS or Levaquin
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice