A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

4days ago abdominal pain started throughout my stomach. Felt

4days ago abdominal pain started throughout my stomach. Felt like I ate something bad but seemed like normal churning sensation due to digestive issues. Kept me up a lot that night. Wasn't quite right the next day but now for past 2 days its been a sharper pain in lower right side only. Hurts to touch it, hurts to walk, breathe deep, cough and hurts to lift my right leg - esp when I'm bent forward. I am 46 yr old female and have had cervical hysterectomy but kept my ovaries. Also have a 99.3 temp

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

As you know appendicitis can cause pain all over the abdomen, but it does eventually tend to center in the right lower quadrant. Of course, every case presents differently. Since you still have your right ovary, the pain could be from that as well. You are going to need a hands-on exam and probably a scan to tell what the underlying problem is. The fever could be from any infection which could be either ovary of appendix.

I would go to a walk-in clinic or the ER for an exam, especially if the pain escalates. It really sounds more like the appendix than an ovary though.

Please let me know if you have quesions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. My fever is now almost 100. I hate to go to ER since walk ins aren't open at this time. Is it ok to wait til tomorrow? And if its appendicitis is it normal to have that pain for 4 days or does it tend to get really severe more quickly than that?

Some people will have intermittent pain over several days before it gets really bad and settles in the right lower quadrant. The fact that the fever is rising isn't good. You don't want the appendix to burst and perhaps have to deal with an abdominal infection (peritonitis).

It really is safest to have it evaluated and have the surgery if it is appendicitis. Only you know how bad the pain is, so only you will know if it is okay to wait a few hours. The danger is that an infected appendix will burst and then you will have to have an emergency open appendectomy with abdominal lavage to remove the infection rather than a simple laparoscopy to remove a whole infected appendix through a button-hole incision. If you do decide to wait, I would be the first patient there when they open in the morning. Smile

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks and last question: do most larger walk in facilities even have the right equipment to scan my abdomen (ie ultrasound or CT scan)? My guess is no. I just know how long the wait and $ the ER can be. But don't want to waste my time at walk in place if they can't even see inside my ab.

Most large standalone clinics like Patient First will have the equipment to diagnose you. You should definitely call ahead first and make sure so you don't waste a trip. Smaller clinics in drug stores, Walmart, Target, etc. might not have the equipment though, so the need for a telephone call is there. I wouldn't want you to waste a trip any more than you would. Cry

Schuyler

ξ