Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am 55 yrs old. Had brain anurizm in Nov 2010. Had 3 brain

I am 55 yrs old. Had brain anurizm in Nov 2010. Had 3 brain surgeries to result in adding a brain shunt and one revision. 3 brain surgeries are together. After the surgeries I have pain in my right hip that goes down to my fight foot. Left side is ok, no symptoms on that side. I had a nerve test down and it was normal. Neurologist said it could be an accumulation of blood from the shunt that has ended up in the hip area. Do you know what they could do to fix this? Before the nerve test I spoke to a spine doctor that says they can use a very small camera that goes into the spine area and perform many different fixes. Do you think a neurosurgeon could fix my problem using this same type camera??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--have you had an MRI of the lower back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and several exrays..

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And all that was normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far it is normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The spine doctor while viewing the scans saw the fluid from the shunt at the bottom of my spine area and did not want to do anything else until I found out what the fluid was. That's when I was sent back to my neurosurgeon, he sent me to another neurologist to have that nerve test done. Again it came back normal. I called the spine doctor and he said there was nothing he could do for me at this point as this was neurologist surgeon's decision. I have not spoke with surgeon yet to see what he thinks I should do next. All I do know is he thinks it could be a pocket with fluid in it causing the pain in my hip area. I won't know what they want me to do next until I speak with the neurologist surgeon hopefully Monday or Tuesday. I figure I will have to make an appointment to see him again and we will see what happens next. The doctor that did the test said it was normal for fluid to be at the bottom of my spine area...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. So the surgeon is assuming there's a pocket of fluid but that wasn't seen on the MRI?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has seen the scans but I'm not sure he was able to see all that. I think he's going by symptoms and past experience? I hurt in my right hip back area and the pain generates down to my foot.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--but since you have what sounds like a radiculopathy--a nerve compression that causes the pain going down your leg--how are your doctors explaining that with a normal nerve conduction test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's a good question and I don't know the answer at this time... And that's why I decided to ask what you might know. I will make another doctor's appointment this week and see what they want to do next.... I will go back to the neurologist and see where we go from here. The spine surgeon said there is nothing he can do for me since this is neurological... I think that's the word I'm looking for. It's so complicated... You really didn't give me an answer but you ask some good questions and that's about all you can do at this time. I appreciate it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but let me finish by saying something doesn't add up here. I really can't see how your shunt could be causing the problem and even if there were some sort of fluid accumulation caused by it it should show up on the MRI. Also, I wonder about a negative nerve conduction test with your symptoms. Definitely, something is going on but I think you need another neurology evaluation and I'd consider both repeating the nerve conduction study and perhaps do a myelogram to better look at the spinal cord and the nerve roots in your back. All that said, you shouldn't consider surgery until a definite cause is found and it's determined that surgery is the correct approach to your problem.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice