A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

doctor, Im on day 10 since I had my ribs broken. I consulted

doctor, I'm on day 10 since I had my ribs broken. I consulted with you previously and immensely appreciate your advice. I would like to know with my ugly multiple fractures in 2 ribs (8 and 9) what is the estimated time for me to be able to drive? I still have much pain when I get on or off the bed or the recliner, even though my hematoma has subsided and the abrasion is almost free from infection. I continue taking the Clindamycin. Thank you for your answer.

Welcome back to our service and thanks for your question. Each person heals differently, but generally the ribs will heal with a fibrous union in 4-6 weeks and it may take 12 weeks or longer for that union to become ossified (bony union). As a rule, the older one is, the longer the healing process takes. Sadly, those of us over 50 don't heal as quickly as teenagers.

Generally a person can resume driving again when they are pain-free even when moving or changing position. Driving while still on medication isn't allowed, of course. Only your own medical provider who knows all about your fracture can give you a precise date when you may drive.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your answer. i'd like to ask one more question: should I sleep on the bed or just sitting down? When I lay down I hear my ribs making noises and usually have pain. I have a hard time getting in a halfway comfortable position and have been sleeping very little since my accident. I do not want to damage my ribs anymore than they are. I appreciate your answer.

Thanks so much for the follow-up question. If you are having difficulty sleeping lying down, it is fine to sleep in a recliner for a few days. The sound you hear from your ribs is entirely normal though, and nothing to be concerned about. Some people can even hear themselves breathing as the ribs move in an out with each breath. This in no way interferes with the healing process. The ribs are encompassed with mucle tissue and aren't going anywhere. If you take your pain medication (either prescription or over-the-counter like Tylenol) 45-60 minutes before retiring, it can help with the discomfort of moving.

I hope you will heal quickly Smile

All the best,