Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.

why are my heels discolored/grey?

why are my heels discolored/grey?
Category: Health
Expert:  kimo31 replied 12 months ago.

kimo31 :

Hello. I will be assisting you with your question today!

kimo31 :

I would like to inquire as to if there is any cracking or flaking on your heels?

kimo31 :

As I see that you have not reached the conversation as of yet, I will respond with the information I have available.

kimo31 :

This complaint can typically be from dry skin and callous formation on the heels.

kimo31 :

When going barefoot, dirt and other materials are easily entrapped on the skin and can be very difficult to remove, even with good hygiene.

kimo31 :

It can then stain slippers and sandals in use, as it sounds you are experiencing.

kimo31 :

I would suggest debriding the dead skin from the heel either at home or by having a professional perform this as part of a pedicure. Using emolients after bathing will also help to rehydrate and soften the heel/callous to prevent the collection from recurring.

kimo31 :

If you have any further questions on your return, please don't hesitate to ask them and I will be happy to respond to your satisfaction. If you have no further questions, kindly rate our interaction as positive. I am happy to assist you today and wish you the very best in resolving this discoloration.

Customer:

not a satisfactory answer. its NOT pedicure related. getting a pedi doesnt help the situation. my friends all have white slippers also (all over 50).

Customer:

their slippers stay white. mine turn grey. i have to bleach my slippers each week cuz its a dark grey and ugly.

kimo31 :

I am very sorry to hear this.

Customer:

i NEVER go barefoot. im asian.

kimo31 :

I suggest the pedicure simply for debriding any abrasive or dry skin, which is typically the cause for shoe discoloration.

Customer:

i'd like to hear that its a medical condition or hereditary...and what i can do to solve problem.

Customer:

youre not listening. debriding dry skin doesnt work to solve the problem.

kimo31 :

To investigate for a medical condition, you could see a podiatrist for their opinion and to determine if there was a condition of the foot that may cause discoloration.

Customer:

are you a doctor? why am i paying $12 for a non-answer?

kimo31 :

I am. As I inquired, have you had any dryness or cracking of the feet?

Customer:

there is no dryness or cracking.

kimo31 :

My goal is to answer your question accurately and to your satisfaction.

kimo31 :

Unfortunately, most hereditary or medical conditions do not cause shoe discoloration.

Customer:

so if you need time to research it, pls do. quit giving me armchair advice.

Customer:

you still there?

kimo31 :

yes I am here

kimo31 :

I am looking for references to foot discoloration aside from cracked skin and corns.

kimo31 :

In those with pigmented skin, it can also be caused by inflammation. However I did not approach this topic because this would not also correlate with discoloration of your shoes

kimo31 :

I see that you have rated my service as bad, despite my best attempt to answer your question.

kimo31 :

Because my goal is to provide you the best service, I will opt out of this discussion in an effort to let another expert address your concerns.

kimo31 :

If at a later time you feel that my service was positive, please kindly rate it accordingly.

Customer:

i will upgrade your rating if you give a decent, sound, medical answer.

kimo31 :

I wish you the very best in getting this issue resolved. Please consider my advice if you do not find a better suitable plan of care.

Customer:

your advice was not suitable.

Customer:

i do not have dry, cracked heels. a pedi does not solve the problem. i get pedi's regularly.

Customer:

do you see previous conversation?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 months ago.

I'm sorry that you have been waiting so long for a response to your question.

Your symptom of discolored/grey heels sounds like a condition called hyperkeratosis, which is a build of of the skin element keratin.

There are several possible explanations for this condition. One possibility is that it is the result of a nutrient or vitamin deficiency. A deficiency of Vitamin A for example could cause this kind of skin condition. Another possibility is a deficiency of essential omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA that are found in fish oil.

Sometimes a deficiency of B vitamins, particularly a nutrient called biotin, can also cause this kind of problem.

A build up of toxic metals in the body could also cause the symptom of discolored/grey heals. Accumulations of arsenic and cadmium in the body are known to cause such kinds of skin conditions.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you would like more details or if you have further questions.

Dr. David, Doctor
Experience: Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

thank you. that was excellent and what i was looking for.