Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

Im tasting and smelling strange odor in my mouth and nose

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Do you have any concurrent medical illness?

History of allergies?

Problems with vision? Speech?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no to all the first 3 questions

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information Brad.

Well there are many reasons for abnormal taste/smell sensations in mouth/nose...These include;

1. Medications

2. Gastroesophageal Reflux disease

3. Aging (due to loss of taste buds and impaired smell sensations)

4. Upper respiratory infections, including sinus infections/allergies

5. Any injury to mouth, nose

6. Chemotherapeutic agents

7. Poor oro-dental hygiene

8. Fungal infections in the mouth or tongue area

9. Dental infections

Another important differential in your case is Phantosmia. Phantosmia, also known as olfactory hallucinations (false perceptions of abnormal smells), are actually smell odours that are not derived from a physical stimulus.
Most common causes of phantosmia include upper respiratory infection (like sinusitis), brain tumor, seizure disorder, alzheimer's disease, or idiopathic ( where no cause can be found out ).

If 2-3 weeks have passed with out any improvement in your symptoms, it would be a standard guideline to see your doctor again discussing the above mentioned possibilities, which will direct further tests and subsequent management plan.

At home, avoid spicy foods.

Add flavours to your food.

Take plenty of juices and fruits---these all will help.

Prilosec OTC can also be tried to control reflux, if present.

I would have been worried too if i were at your place but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it the same thing when I say Im having strange soapy taste in mouth and smell, thats what it tastes and smells like, more like dirty soap, mixed with old dirty rag and sweat smell

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

If the taste and smell are the same, than it is different.

This can be due to Reflux.

Why not try Prilosec and see how you respond to it?

You do not have any warning symptoms that point towards a serious possibility of phatosmia (secondary to brain tumor or neurological sidease), but i had to mention this because this was one of the remote possibilities.

Goddluck.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

based on your experience, are there any patients who have the same symptoms as mine? Honestly I can't describe what it tastes or smells like, its a combination of dirty soap, dirty rag, sweaty shirt, maybe some chemical smell and taste all in one. Im chewing gum, it helped some, but still taste and smell. Eating and drinking also tastes awful.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Brad for the follow up question.

I have seen many patients with similar complaints and effectively treated them.

In over 80% of the cases the usual underlying cause is gastro-esophageal reflux.

In remaining 15% it is from the sinus infection/inflammation.

Less than 5% have other causes like dental problems, drug related or neurological problems.

I have already given you some tips which will help you symptomatically.

And if this persist, you have to get this evaluated in detail.

Endoscopy or sinus x-rays will be required and probably a round of antibiotics or prescription strength full dose anti-reflux treatment.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I stopped taking fish oil and green tea pills over a week ago, thinking it might be the reason it caused weird odor taste in mouth and smell. I don't see any improvement at all. If fish oil and green tea pills are not the reason, is it ok to start taking them again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello? Im waiting for a response, I replied about a couple hours ago, see below replied box

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello brad.

I was offline since you went off line too after reading my last post.

There is no harm in taking fish oil and green tea pills.

You have not rated any of my answers, please note that the experts like me get the credit for our time and expertise only if you rate our answers positively.

Goodluck and get well soon :)

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties